Tuesday, March 17, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge: Transcendence

What made me read this book in the first place was its blurb which can be read here. I thought it was interesting how love between a modern day human being and a primitive caveman would develop, or if it's even possible.

Actually, I think I was misled by the book cover which made me think that caveman could look like that- way better-looking than most fully-evolved men living in the 21st century. The author included a note which I'm glad I read (because I tend to not read those and jump right into the story) because it was where the author specifically said that Ehd, our story's caveman, would never, ever learn how to speak. Just reviews the author's note and she qualified Ehd's pagka-caveman. Turns out he's just like any other modern-day human male, intelligent  and capable of learning except how to speak and associate sounds with words, objects or actions (so sign language is out). Pero still I think he'll never be able to look like that man on the cover of the book.

So at first I was actually excited and hopeful of the 'promise of kilig' this story will bring into my kilig-obsessed system. I was okay with the first few chapters with Ehd and Beh (Elizabeth) slowly learning how to exist with one another. Of course I understand why Beh would be terrified of Ehd, being that he is a caveman (and will never look like that man on the cover, kung si Tarzan nga modern-day male hindi naman guapo, si Ehd pa kaya?). However, as they were the only Homo-sapien-somethings wherever they were, things were bound to happen and by 'thing,' I think you know to what I'm referring to. Which is actually to Ehd's benefit as he was must-put-a-baby-in-her at first sight with Beh. And when that was all what I was reading again and again, I started to get bored. Which made me skip a looooot of pages (and chapters).

I know how you feel, Alice
And also this is one of those books which I feel should've been told from two POVs. Para at least hindi paulit-ulit and will also give the readers better understanding how Beh finally decided to give Ehd a chance- like did she really fall in love with him or was it just plain tawag ng laman? In the end, light was shed into the situation but I find that out cos I'm the type who finishes her books, no matter how what.What if I'm the type who gives up when things are going WTF-proportions? Also what I can't understand was why Elizabeth chose to stay in the BC era when she could bring Ehd with her to the future instead? Siguro mas masaya sa kweba ☺ Hahaha!

Two stars.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails