Tuesday, March 17, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge: The Art of Lainey

Much better read than Transcendence. Thank God. Although hindi kasing-level ng favorite books ko and not worthy of a 4-star rating, I liked it nevertheless.

To cut the story short, popular high school soccer-star, Lainey Mitchell was dumped by equally hot and popular soccer-star boyfriend, Jason. Upon the suggestion of her best friend, Bianca, she uses Sun Tzu's The Art of War to win ze boyfriend back. They sought Micah's participation. While Micah wasn't exactly Lainey's type, we all kinda knew where this pretend stuff's leading to, yes? So yes, I enjoyed it. Thanks to Micah but not so much to Lainey. Why, you ask? Lainey comes off across as someone who's very self-assured bordering on narcissism, but to be fair to her she kind of calls herself on it towards the end.

The book's theme is somewhat appropriate to my situation now but alas, not in the "love" department. We're moving locations again and I'm considering this as a new business venture and The Art of War may also be used in the business setting and those little Sun Tzu snippets sort of reminded me that I am not prepared for the move. Guess I have to go read my copy and win the battle I'm fighting.

Soooo... my favorite character in the book is, obviously, Micah. Of course, mohawk boy has his own issues but deep down, he's a real softy.

Micah in my mind
{image credits}
O diba ang cute niya? But guys with mohawks, piercings and tattoos aren't really my type and even if one shouldn't judge books by its covers, we judge anyway. I judge them anyway. So, Micah I like and if he does look like that mohawk boy above, bongga si Lainey. Cos if Lainey looks like that girl on the cover of the book, lugi si Micah. Hahaha.

Anyhoo, just found out that this book actually has a prequel, Infinite Repeat, told from Micah's POV and I'm dying to read it. Micah said Lainey's totally not his type but I hope a little Lainey-crush is hiding somewhere there during his Amber days.

So three stars for the book. I hope to encounter more of these stories. Ang babaw ko talaga.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails