Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Movie Musings: The DUFF

Ever since I found out that they're making The DUFF into a movie, I've been very very VERY excited about it. I loved the book so much even if I think it's a little too makamundo for high school kids. So anyway, when I found out nga they're making the book into a movie, I only had high hopes. How could you go wrong on something so easy to make? No special effects needed! But yeah, they botched it alright.

Umm, medyo skeptical na ako when I saw the trailer because they're not the characters I had in mind. But I gave it a chance. Malay ko naman, diba?

{image credits}
First of all, I think they can do better than this Wesley Rush. The movie's Wesley Rush isn't not handsome. He is but not quite how I envision my Wesley Rush. I really really really wish they got someone else, someone like him.


I haven't changed my mind yet. He still is my Wesley and I think he's good at douchebaggery. With Bianca, I'd still prefer that actress who played Schmidt's fat girlfriend in New Girl

she's cute and I bet she can do funny, too
over Mae Whitman. Well I guess this happens when your favorite book's made into a movie. Because you want every bit and piece perfectly executed and more often than not, the movie adaptation falls short.

But I'm very very disappointed about was that they sort of changed the story. And not just a wee bit, might I add. They stuck to with the DUFF concept but they changed everything else. What I loved pa naman with the book was Bianca and Wesley's clandestine relationship and I'm not talking about the sensei-student Bianca and Wesley movie versions had in the film. Heck, they even made Bianca stay with her mother. The movie was a totally different story from the book, like a teenage version of Pretty Woman meets Pretty in Pink and pretty much any high school movie where the popular boy falls for the ordinary girl. The DUFF had that twist and they removed it. Disappointed talaga ako.

why talaga
Sana iniba na lang nila ang title. The shouldn't have claimed it was a movie adaptation of the book. Cos although it wasn't actually a bad movie, I still maintain that they should've remained faithful to the original story. Inisip ko na lang baka masyadong risque for teenagers (their target audience) kaya iniba nila, but then again these books are much more risque and they're not even censored.

I want to read The DUFF again to erase the movie's version on my mind. Why did Kody Keplinger agree to this? Why?!?!?!?!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails