Wednesday, March 12, 2014

2014 Book Challenge: The Book of Broken Hearts

Because I want to read everything on the list, I picked up The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler. Although I didn't really enjoy Twenty Boy Summer, the first book I read written by Ockler, I still gave it a try because it has an almost 4-star rating in Goodreads and it is on the list. By hook or by crook, I will read everything in that list.

{source}
It was Jude Hernandez's last summer of being a kid without worries, before she starts college and assumes being an adult living by herself. Supposedly. But Jude's dad is sick with a degenerative disease of the brain- Alzheimer's, so she somehow takes on the role of an adult a few months earlier than intended. 

I loved this book (waaay better than Twenty Boy Summer) because: 

1. I sort of can relate, having four sisters (three who are older than me just like Jude) and not in the love department (Ha).
I felt warm and safe in a way I hadn't with my sisters in a long time, and nothing would be easier than to stay here. To let them figure it all out, tell me what to do. To follow their rules.
I love my sisters and I do love the fact that I have four sisters, because there's always someone to make sumbong to. Haha. Pag inis ka dun sa isa, meron kang mapagbunbuntunan nang inis. And having sisters means I can live off their wardrobe, cosmetic leftovers, mooch off their shampoo and conditioner and depend on them in the absence of our parents. I think the reason why my mental growth is stunted is because I still consider myself the 'baby' of the family. Kahit hindi naman ako bunso. Feeling bunso. Retarded pa.

2. I loved Jude's relationship with her father. I consider myself as a daddy's girl and I sort of can feel her pain. It's not that my dad is in a similar situation ( I hope not and never will that happen), but I feel her sadness when I put myself in her shoes. I often say that I hope I die earlier than my parents do cos I don't think I can go through that. I liked how Jude took care of her father and not feeling like it was a chore, she willingly did it. She understood how very limited her time with her father is, that eventually all memories of her would be erased from his mind. I think I need to watch A Moment to Remember. I need a good cry.

3. Oh this is supposed to be mainly about the Vargas boys, right? So another thing I liked about this book is that Jude wasn't too excited to ride off to the horizon with the boy. She was really tempted but her love and concern for her father stumped the need for kilig. And after reading a handful of YA novels, these teenagers tend to make decisions using their hearts (and other body parts) over their heads. I also liked how Emiliio was very understanding of the situation. Well, I may have disliked him this one time when he told Jude to stop listening to her sisters and be her own person and to come with him on his trip. She didn't and I was very glad with her decision. I thought after that Emilio was gone for good. Apparently not. In fair, patience is one of Emilio's virtue. 

So yeah it was a nice read but then again maybe there's something about Ockler's writing style I don't really like because I must have spent, like, eleven days reading it. Parang I was not too excited to read about what's going to happen next? Eh I just picked up another book right after I finished reading this and I'm already done with it. I give it three stars. 

When you're young, you think you have so much time,
and then life comes and tomorrow turns into tomorrow,
and before you know it...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails