Wednesday, March 12, 2014

2014 Book Challenge: The Trouble with Flirting


{via Goodreads}
I enjoyed this book. My expectations for this book wasn't really that high since its title is The Trouble with Flirting, ya? What I got from the title that this would be a book about, you guessed it, flirting. There were lots of flirting, actually, but not coming from our lead character, Franny.

Okay, before I proceed with my non-review...
{via Goodreads}
Are these the same people? Oo, no? As I was perusing the YA shelves of National Bookstore, napa-second look talaga ako when I saw cover of The Trouble with Flirting because I thought it was familiar. I actually thought they just changed The Kissing Booth's title. Well, hindi. Aliw lang.

So back to regular programming... what I liked about this book- a love triangle! You know how much I love love triangles, no? So anyway, Franny gets a summer job, working as her aunt's assistant in a summer acting program's wardrobe department. At first Fanny thought her summer would suck as it would mean spending lots and lots of time spent with her cranky auntie, hemming skirts and sewing on buttons. And it would doubly suck because these kids in the program are her age and she can't join in on the fun. But in the world of fiction, everything is possible. So fate permits her to meet the participants and becomes good friends with them. She even evaded some work, hanging out with friends. But then again she's working for her aunt which made playing hooky easier.

Back to the love triangle. Franny sees Julia who she used to go to school with back in middle school. Julia's twin brother, Alex, is also in the program, who just happens to be Franny's crush way back in middle grade. Isabella and Harry, best friends and equally gorgeous, are also participants in this acting program. Harry is the crush ng bayan of the program and he knows it and flirts with just about anyone. Isabella, on the other hand, has her sights set on Alex. Harry likes Franny for realzzz but Franny thinks he's just playing her like he flirts with all the other girls and she's just waiting for Alex to give her the time of day.

ang gulo ano?
So yeah, I'm just really incoherent like dut. Anyway, I initially wanted Alex for Franny. I thought she was the good guy. Franny thought so, too. But towards the end, I started to like Harry also, maybe not more than Alex, but I was thinking that Franny would definitely have a hard time choosing between the two. Although at that time, it was Alex she really, really likes and thinks that Harry isn't serious at all. Only, Harry is. And Alex is also a little conflicted.

In the end, Franny chooses Harry. What makes Harry swoon-worthy? Well maybe we presume that he is the bad boy, so to speak, and bad boys are difficult to tie down. But we find out that Harry can change (or his flirting is just that, flirting, and nothing more) and that Alex isn't really what we thought he was. Not that Alex is a bad boy, he just can't make a decision and it is possible to like two things at a time. But who's to know if Franny and Harry were able to make their LDR work? For all we know their relationship might have remained just a summer fling. Okay, I will stop being a wet blanket here.

I liked it. I give it four stars. Actually, more like 3.5 stars because it wasn't boring and I'm tired of giving every book I read three-star ratings.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails