Tuesday, January 27, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge: We Were Liars

Gaaaahd that was sad. I didn't see that one coming and usually I am spot on when I second guess book endings. But this one- oh Lord, I can't even.

Cadence, Johnny, Mirren and Gat. They called themselves the Liars. The Liars' friendship began Summer Eight when Gat first came with Aunt Carrie and Johnny in Beechwood. Before that, Cady, Johnny and Mirren were just cousins. Beechwood was just a summer thing. After the summer vacation, everyone goes back to as they were, back to their normal everyday lives. It was Summer Fifteen when everything changed. The Liars were old enough to understand what's going on around them and it ain't pretty. They decided to do something about it and the rest, as they say, is history.

History that Cadence has no memory of.

She comes back to Beechwood two years after her accident. Still she can't remember anything of the accident or what happened prior to that. As each day passes, bits and pieces, snippets of what happened that fateful night of Summer Fifteen comes back to her.

Now I know they were liars. Ang saklap.


Actually I find it already masaklap when the aunts were fighting over who gets what. The Sinclairs were trust-fund rich but what the daughters failed to realize was that money also runs out. Not one daughter became successful, everyone just rested on their laurels. Each one wants to get the lion share. And this thing happens in real life. You grow up with your siblings sharing everything but you all grow up, have your own families and everyone's priorities shift. Your loyalty now belongs to your new family- to your husband and to your children (if any). You want to provide the best for them. Now everyone wants to get the lion share. Things get ugly. Well I just hope that no one in my family is too greedy to want everything for herself.

Aaaaaaaand back to the book- it was a pretty interesting read although I only give it 3 stars out of 5 because I didn't LOOOOOVE it with passion as I did the other books I gave 5/5. I recommend this book to all you YA lovers- a little deviation from our usual lovey-dovey storylines.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails