Saturday, March 22, 2014

2014 Book Challenge: Divergent

I never really liked dystopian-themed but I guess it was unfair to generalize when I've only read two books of the said theme- Delirium and Hunger Games. I know many loves the Hunger Games trilogy, but I think not liking the book that much I contribute to the fact that I saw the movie trailer before reading it and mababaw na kung mababaw ang reason but I hated the actor who portrayed Peeta. Just to clarify, I didn't hate the book. I just think it's not that good though. So anyway another dystopian-themed YA book, Divergent, is showing now on theaters and although at first I wasn't too excited to see it in the cinema but this changed my mind~
{image credits}
calientito, no?
So after reading the book I was reading then, I immediately started on Divergent. Must finish the book before I watch the movie. Seriously, I do not get the point of watching the movie then reading the books where it was adapted/based from. What's the point if you already know the story.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by the book. I liked it because it was engaging, it was a good story plot and of course, my favorite, it has a swoon-worthy love angle (not to mention swoon-worthy fictional crush, Four). Maybe I was expecting for it to be somewhat similar to Delirium and HG and although it was similar in a way, there were also twists that I didn't see coming such as Tris's mom's identity.

And oh, the tension between Tris and Four- giddiness to the max. Ever since that moment in training when Four held Tris to steady her, omgeezers, I am a fangirl. I'm super excited to see it already.

Out of dystopian societies from the three books I read, Delirium, Hunger Games and Divergent, I think I would rather belong to Divergent's dystopian world. Because I still have a choice. Only, it's limited to five factions but still, I can choose where I want to belong.

I guess I would have to give dystopian-themed books another chance- I would just have to stick to low or no expectations at all.

True dat.
Because I like Four, I'd give it five stars ☺

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails