Friday, October 18, 2013

2013 Book Challenge 41/35: Fangirl

{image via Goodreads}
Because my experience with the first two Rainbow Rowell books was SOOO GOOD, I just had to read her last existing book as of the moment which is Fangirl. Actually after Attachments, I was deciding between this title and Eleanor & Park on which to read next. More raved about Fangirl so I saved the best for last. I loved it just the same just not with the same intensity as Attachments and E&P, so I gave it only 4 stars. I guess I forgot to throw my expectations out the window before I started reading. Or, I just got super bored on the Simon and Baz parts.

I know, I know... the Simon and Baz angle of the story actually has its own following but personally, I got bored reading those parts. It's like, I want to know NOW what's happening with Cath and Levi and not what is happening with Simon and Baz's love life. Snippets (which should be very short, imo) of the Simon Snow story are okay but please not that lengthy. Like for example, there's this part where Cath is reading snippets of fan fiction to Levi and something's happening (sounds pervy, I know, but it's so not like that LOL). Not something like a tangible thing, but something as in something happening in the moment. Argh. So hard to explain.

What I really really like about Rainbow Rowell's books is that relationships develop over a period of time. Sure, there was attraction-at-first-sight but they didn't act on it right away. I loved how the story builds up to that moment of Cath and Levi's first kiss, like you have been waiting for it to happen for forever and finally the moment is here and then your life is changed forever. Haha. Wala lang, affected lang talaga ako. But seriously, I liked the fact that the characters got to know each other first by being friends or in their case, her roommate's best friend which makes him her friend. There was no wanting to jump each other's bones at first sight. There was no I've-loved-you-since-we-were-three-years-old either. I liked that.

And Levi. Okay, I was a little bothered with his receding hairline (at 21!) but that boy is so nice that I have decided to accept him, receding hairline and all. If Paula Cole wants to know where have all the cowboys gone, I seriously want to know where have all the nice boys gone. Are nice boys like unicorns (mythical, never really existed) or just dodo birds (have gone extinct)? Well Levi might have had his momentary lapse in judgment at one point but he is only human and he did redeem himself, right? If I were to judge Levi in comparison to all the YA teenage/adolescent boys, he is way far better than the most of them. He's right there with Marcus Flutie, Park and Nick.

I am done with all Rainbow Rowell books, now what? Her next book doesn't come out until June of next year and I seriously need an awesome book to distract me from the wait.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails