Thursday, May 23, 2013

Battle of the Cupcakes: Peppermint Patty vs. Peppermint

I'm not big on cupcakes. On cakes, too, actually. I just have a very selected few flavors I like such as Becky's Kitchen's Swiss Choco Cake, Brazo de Mercedes and occasionally Mango Bravo from Conti's. So I never really got into the cupcake bandwagon when it first came here. I had a bah humbug attitude towards it because seriously, who would spend P70 on a tiny cupcake? But everything changed when I had my first Mint Condition by Sonja's.

But I have cupcakes very rarely. Sometimes I do crave for it but given that Sonja's is not easily accessible and I do not know how to drive and can't let anyone drive me all the way there, the cravings just die a natural death.
Mint Condition circa 2009

So when I found out that Sonja's already has a shop in Glorietta, I immediately scheduled for a visit so I can be reunited with my favorite cupcake. However, I forgot which cupcake flavor exactly so when I saw Peppermint Patty, I thought it was my favorite cupcake. I only realized much later that Peppermint Patty was not the cupcake I first fell in love with.


Having a spa, I have always associated the peppermint scent with feet. So Peppermint Patty reminded me of foot scrubs and lotion. No offense to the cupcake, haha. Also, I find the peppermint icing too thick and rich.  I do not know though if mint is different from peppermint. Maybe there is a difference because both have chocolate bread/cake and only icing is different but from what I remember, Mint Condition's tasted better.

I got acquainted with Gigi via a cousin. He once brought home cupcakes for pasalubong. It was Sea Salt Chocolate Cupcake. It was heavenly. So when I went into their shop to buy a Sea Salt Choco cupcake, I saw the pretty peppermint-flavored ones through the display glass. I was actually hesitant at first because it didn't have a chocolate base/bread but I bought one anyway

an assortment of Gigi cupcakes
Sea Salt Choco, Red Velvet & mi favorito, Peppermint
and I was delightfully surprised. Honestly, I wasn't expecting it to be good but it was and it is now my favorite cupcake flavor from Gigi's, more than their Sea Salt Chocolate. The mint frosting was just right- not to thick nor too sweet.

The verdict: Gigi's Peppermint wins!

Although I have yet to taste Mint Condition again and duel it with Gigi's Peppermint. Teka, do they still have Mint Condition in Sonja's? Baka kasi wala na. Just in case, they should bring it back.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails