Sunday, August 12, 2012

repeat performance

Living in the lowlands is the pits. If before we thought that Ondoy was out of the ordinary, meaning it was a once in a lifetime, then we were wrong. Last Tuesday, August 7, it started flooding AGAIN. It wasn't Ondoy proportions (ie. chest-deep floodwater inside the house) for us, but in other areas the damage was just as horrific. Actually, the water began to rise Monday evening while I was busy doing this


my Rooftop Prince marathon (and a new BB cream- pasalubong from my ate's friend. how thoughtful, diba?) and waiting for my sister to come home. She arrived around 12 midnight and the flood outside was just outside our gate. I couldn't sleep cos I was constantly checking on the water level outside (and watching RTP) and I finally got to sleep around 3 am when it stopped raining and the flood level already subsided to just ankle-deep. 

But lo and behold, patikim pa lang pala yun. Woke up to heavy rains again in the morning and come lunchtime, pataas na naman ang tubig. Time to evacuate mommy's stash!


My mom has this stock room downstairs with her stash of fabric and clothes circa 1980s and most of the stuff moved upstairs were those. Kahit nung Ondoy, sila na rin to. Mainstay sa buhay namin haha. Anyway, stacked the furniture on top of another in preparation of the floodwater. Our driver's motorcycle was already harnessed from the grills of the garage to avoid being submerged. Joey (my sister's dog) inside a small box in our room. Everyone and everything cramped in such a small space. 

The water entered the house but thank God it was only ankle-deep this time


that's actually floodwater inside our living room- buti na lang hindi na tumaas ang tubig. Also this flood isn't muddy as the last time, so clean-up wasn't as tedious. Around this time, electricity was out. My only source of information of news was my cellphone's FM radio. I really hate listening to 92.3 News FM but I figured out this was the time having an AM-format radio station could come in handy. However, when I tuned into the station, they were playing songs. SONGS. No news about the flood. Kung kailan sila kailangan mag-balita, hindi sila nagbabalita. I tuned into 97.1, GMA's sister-station, but was disappointed that at times like these, inuuna pa nila ang paglalandi- you know, those Wanted: Sweetheart show formats, binabaha na Maynila, nakikipaglandian pa sila sa radyo. At syempre, alam ko talaga :P Buti pa 89.1 may silbi. 

Thankfully, the water never rose higher through the night and come morning, no water inside the house. I actually woke up to scrubbing ang people cleaning the floor downstairs. But it's still flooded outside- 


excited lang nanay ko maglinis. The flood only subsided completely Thursday afternoon. 

In spite of this, I still have a lot of things to be grateful for:
1. The flood never got bigger/ higher.
2. The flood didn't enter my place of business which means I don't have to do any major renovation done sometime soon. 
3. There was ample supply of food in the house. Translation: busog pa din. 
4. There was electricity majority of the time. 
5. Internet-access. 
6. We were all safe and there were no major damage to our stuff. 

I wish I could say the same for AD. The flood was deeper on their part of the village so submerged and kalahati ng kama nila. Now they're planning on renting somewhere flood-free. Sabi ko I'll take care of her table muna, hehe. 

Anyway, may paparating na naman na bagyo. Let's just hope and pray that flooding like Ondoy and that Habagat chever doesn't happen again. Aside from prayers, I guess samahan na rin natin ng pagtatapon ng basura sa tamang lugar. I always see ATM receipts scattered all over the place when the trash bin is only inches away from the machine. Sobrang effort ba itapon sa basurahan? O kung walang basurahan, ibulsa man lang muna? We don't need to be college graduates to understand these things and what's sad is even college graduates do not know how to throw their trash in the proper places. Okay, preachy na kung preachy pero totoo. At least I am not guilty of this. And oh, I do segregate my trash. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails