Saturday, March 27, 2021

Escapism Therapy: Run On, She Would Never Know

 So.... ECQ na naman tayo. Which also means more time for Kdramas, webtoons and movies- uninterrupted. I just wish that the government would really do something to solve this pandemic or at least curb the rise in cases. Baka naman vacation mode din ang mga hitad. Hay. 

Anyway, before I start with another Kdrama, I want to blog about the last two dramas I watched- Run On and She Would Never Know- both I really enjoyed. 

Run On

image source

I picked this drama because my peeps at dramabeans liked it. We're some kind of on the same Kdrama wavelength and this time, that proves it again. I was actually a little iffy because I sort of don't like Shin Se-kyung- nakatatak pa rin sa akin yung ginawa niya bilang bestfriend ni My Little Bride a bazillion years ago. LOL. But I've learned to set aside my biases and not not watch a drama or a movie just because I dislike the actor for I could miss out on good ones. 

I enjoyed this drama. Most dramas get dragging in the middle, but this one was steady lang. Ki Seon-gyeom and Oh Mi-joo's relationship started out as friends although we knew from the start that both already have feelings for each other but since they're unsure whether the other reciprocates this feeling, landi-landian lang sila ng slight. Hahaha. So eventually they get together and towards the end, Seon-gyeom's father became the MH (malaking hadlang) in the story. But I guess hindi siya ganun kalaking hadlang dahil the Seon-gyeom's mother supports the relationship (or whatever makes her son happy) and the girl who Seon-gyeom's father wants to marry him with is actually in a "developing" relationship. 

This girl who was supposed to enter this fixed marriage with Seon-gyeom is CEO Seo Dan-a, who just happens to be in a "situation" with university student Lee Young-hwa. I was more deeply invested in this subplot and find it more interesting. Mas may kilig factor. Must be the noona romance eme. Although I am not sure how big the age gap is. Feeling ko naman hindi ganun kalaki. Or maybe I just like it when the guy pursues the girl ardently? In this drama, the Best Kdrama Boyfriend Award goes to Young-hwa. 

Both storylines are our usual langit-ka-at-lupa-ako eme. Not very obv kasi maputi sila parehas. Kung dito sa Pinas ang setting, maputi yung mayaman tapos moreno/a yung mahirap. The disparity is not that noticeable. 

One of my favorite characters was CEO Seo's secretary. I like his walang personalan, trabaho lang attitude. He does what is asked of him efficiently, he's loyal to his boss AND he always has his boss's back. So I liked that he gets his own love story in the end ☺

Another thing I liked about the drama was it made me a bit nostalgic. At least in the beginning where Seon-gyeom was still in the national track team- it reminded me of my high school days when I was part of my batch's track team. 

It was a nice drama. I finished it quickly and with only a few breaks in between episodes (which is uncommon these days where I'm a little ADHD with my dramas when story gets a bit slow). 

She Would Never Know

image source

I got into this drama thinking it's a rom-com. And boy, was I ever wrong. Drama ito, besh. Drama! Almost dropped this one because I wanted to steer clear of dramas. Gusto ko ng feel-good, light, nakakakilig rom-coms. What made me stay was another awardee of The Best Kdrama Boyfriend Award

Our cutie Hyun-seung started working in Klavuu because of Song-ah. He started out as an intern/trainee under Song-ah's wing. Best foot forward si Kuya siempre pakitang-gilas kay Ate at siguro inspired na rin, LOL. He finds out that Song-ah's dating Jae-woon, who he eventually finds out was dating and was set to marry the CEO's sister. I actually didn't like what Hyun-seung did when he exposed Jae-woon to Song-ah, but maybe it was a necessary evil most especially when Jae-woon clearly wasn't going to end things with Song-ah soon or at least tell her that he's getting married to another woman. 

In this drama, we see that persistence wins. And maybe consistency na rin. Eventually, Hyun-seung wins the girl and proceeds to be one of the Best Boyfriend in Kdramaland. 

A few hitches every now and then but at the end it's all good. I liked that Song-ah still went to Europe for the job despite Hyun-seung's pleading for her to stay. For me kasi at least she couldn't put this one on him in the future. I feel that if she didn't take that Europe stint and she, somehow, becomes dissatisfied with her life, she might blame it on Hyun-seung. 

Majority of the story, it was the guy wooing after our female lead. All his decisions were all made with her in consideration. Siguro nga medyo unhealthy 'yun, pina-inog niya ang mundo niya kay ate girl. And maybe that's where Song-ah's frustration is coming from- yung hindi man lang nagagalit si kuya kahit obvious na may problema. All throughout the drama, we know that Hyun-seung likes Song-ah, but we're not sure if Song-ah really likes our male lead or it's just convenient for her because he's always there for her. So what I also liked about this drama was that towards the end, we saw Song-ah also putting an effort to salvage or rekindle the relationship. Well, alam naman natin na unting udyok lang eh bibigay naman si Hyun-seung, but at least it was her who made the first move. 

Moral of the story: Que será, será. Kung kayo, kayo.

-o-

Ayan, because of dramas like these distorted na naman ang ating standards when it comes to relationships. Not that I'll get in one soon, or ever. Ha. Basta ayun lang yung mga ganyang lalaki tulad ni Hyun-seung at Young-hwa- they've set the (unrealistic) bar too high. At least alam nating unrealistic. Pero libre lang naman mangarap. Haha. 

Another thing I observed was the issue of homesexuality in both dramas. Nagulat lang ako because before these two dramas, I can't think or at least remember any drama that has tackled the issue. And both dramas addressed the issue on a positive light with both of the gay characters' self-acceptance and also the acceptance of their family and friends. Sabi nila Korea is very traditional and homosexuality is a big taboo, so I see this a step towards Korean society's acceptance of the LGBT+ community. It'll still be a looong way for them, but at least they've started acknowledging the issue. 

-o-

Next dramas in line are either of the following: Goblin, Vincenzo or Hospital Playlist. I am currently watching my Western dramas, Dawson's Creek and Grey's Anatomy, kaso ang dadrama nila eh. Gusto ko nga feel-good, happy shows, diba? Lalo na 'tong si Dawson's Creek na 'to- naloloka ako sa teenage angst at sa laki ng problema nila sa mga lovelife nila. Season 2 pa lang ako sa Dawson's Creek. Mabigat siya so I watch in small doses. Nakakaapekto ang pagka-emo nila. Haha. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails