Tuesday, January 20, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge: This Song Will Save Your Life

via Goodreads
Elise was an outcast. In Hey! Arnold terms, back-of-the-bus material. The popular crowd loves to harass her and honestly, I think I know why.

Elise has always been unpopular in school. She tries to be one of them and by this I don't know if this means to be one of the popular kids or be "normal." And I think she's bait to these popular kids pranks because she's trying way too hard. I could be wrong but this is how I see her. She's trying too hard and she thinks highly of herself.

In what way, you ask me? Because it seems that Elise is insecure, so why you say do I think of her as someone who thinks highly of herself? Well, let's just say that she has longed to be noticed by the popular crowd and how she has felt superior to Sally and Chava. Why, before her suicide attempt, does she have no friends? Not even one? Because the friends she wanted were the popular ones and the likes of Sally and Chava who with their shallow interests are so beneath her as evidenced by: "You may wonder how I managed to make these friends. Well, I will tell you: making friends is actually not that hard when you drop every single one of your standards." Lakas. Ikaw na, Elise, ikaw na.

So that is why I don't like Elise Dembowski. She's so full of herself. She realizes that in the end- THANK GOD- but I think she still thinks highly of herself and now that she's Elise, DJ extraordinaire, her self-worth must have gone off the roof.

Oh, you think you're so great. You think you're so special.
You think you're so much better than everyone else.

And that's what's inside Elise's head. And that is why I give this book only two stars. Not because other people don't listen to The Smiths or Oasis or some other "cool" band, they're beneath you, Elise Dembowski.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails