Wednesday, July 23, 2014

2014 Book Challenge: What I Thought Was True

{source}
Because I enjoyed My Life Next Door, I decided to read What I Thought Was True after a series of so-so books. Well, The Beginning of Everything wasn't so bad but I found it a little slow and I need something exciting, something to pick up the pace since I am three books behind. But this backlog I blame on Finding June. Man, finishing that book was a struggle. Napaka-boring ng mga characters.

Anyway, back to WITWS. I find it amazing that the lead character here is also named Cassidy, only this time Cassidy is a he. And not only that, there is also a character here whose surname is Thorpe. Amazing, right? Coincidence? I think not. It was written in the stars that I were to read these two books in succession. Ha. Right.

So back na talaga to WITWS. It really amazes me (wow, amazed na amazed ang mood ko today) that the langit-ka-lupa-ako theme is not only common here in the Philippines. Akala ko napa-patent na ng Sharon Cuneta movies circa 1980s ang mga movies na may ganung theme. Gwen is the daughter of a cleaning lady. Cass is your typical trust fund baby who used to go to a private school for boys. Cass had heard of Gwen's reputation (Which is not just a reputation. She lived up to it.) Gwen had Cass stereotyped as one of the rich jerks who play her.

In defense of Cass, he really was attracted to Gwen and he didn't really mean to take advantage of the girl. In my opinion, all of these confusion/ mix-up was due Gwen's impetuousness.


Actually, Cass didn't take advantage of Gwen. It was Gwen who took advantage of the situation. It's just people talk, boys kiss (and other things) and tell. And she can't exactly get mad that people are branding her that because she's kind of guilty of the crime, so to speak. She can't blame people for thinking such of her when she's doing the exactly what the people expected her to do. Because of her hang-ups, she almost ruined whatever that was she has with Cass. Not that Cass was the be-all and end-all of her existence but that he was a good catch, which we wouldn't know until the latter part of the book. We all thought, at the start, that he was just like all his other rich, snotty friends.

Speaking of Cass, he is too good to be true. Well, maybe the fact that he's not so smart makes him human. Haha. But aside from lacking super intelligence, he's good-looking, has abs [I used to not care about abs, but I've recently grown to "appreciate" them. I've officially stepped into ahjumma territory], rich but still very nice and is very polite. And nope, he doesn't have a sense of entitlement at all. Yep, he's too good to be true.

It was a pretty good and interesting read. Nothing excites me more than a will-they-or-won't-they story. Four stars because I love this author and because reading this one was like a breath of fresh air after reading the past few books I've read.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails