Wednesday, July 23, 2014

2014 Book Challenge: The Beginning of Everything

After the reading slump (which I blame on Finding June), I am actually thankful for the power outage last week because finally I had time to catch up with my reading. It was also a good thing that I got to charge my Kindle just a day before the three-day blackout.

Cassidy Thorpe reminds me of that broken girl in one of Katie McGarry's novels, Eleanor from Eleanor & Park and Summer in the movie 500 Days of Summer. She's this quirky, pretty girl who's in a world of her own. She's described as redheaded so I don't what is it with these red-headed girls and why are most of them seem like broken? Is being "damaged" a stereotype on redheads, just like blondes are being stereotyped as ditzy.

The story, however, reminds me of that Julia Montes movie- A Moment in Time. [SPOILER ALERT] Boy meets girl. They fall in-like. One character discovers that this one tragic event in his/her life was caused by the object of his/her affection. Enters existential crisis/ guilty mode phase. Only the book and the movie had different endings. The movie had a happy ending (as what is typical of a local love story movie), while the book didn't. Well, we could say that in the book we could apply the ol' cliché "Everything happens for a reason" because if it weren't for Cassidy, Ezra would still be sulking in his room and feeling sorry for himself.

If I were to judge American teens based on this book (and other YA books I've read), I think I can deduce that high school is one big act. I can't quite relate because in my experience, friends I have since high school are some of the best ones I have until now. Well, Ezra's experience helped him know who his real friends are and I think he remained friends with them even until after graduation. But you know what I mean, why hang out with people you don't really jive with? In fairness to Ezra, he wouldn't know that his jock friends and cheerleader girlfriend were the of fair-weather kind.

So yeah, it was indeed the beginning of everything that was real in his life- at least for the moment. He he he. I give it three stars.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails