Monday, June 16, 2014

Pick Flick: The Fault In Our Stars

I almost didn't watch this movie. Almost. Because I sort of hate getting on the bandwagon and, seriously, Facebook is teeming with everything The Fault In Our Stars (TFIOS) since early this year. Not that I hate it but it ticks me a little when people just read something just because everyone else is reading it. Well I am also guilty of doing this (ahem, Fifty Shades of Grey) but I don't put it on Facebook for everyone to know. And now that the TFIOS movie's out, everyone's posting about it on every social media. And the last straw was when I was on an FX going home with these teenage (not-so) boys and they were talking about the book and he's just not telling it correctly and accurately. Ang lakas pa man din ng boses niya. I was super tempted to tell him to shut up already. But after a meeting last Friday, AD has her complimentary tickets and I still have two hours to kill; ergo...

Surprisingly, I liked the movie. Maybe not having any expectations helped and maybe because I didn't like the casting. I used to like Shailene Woodley in The Secret Life of an American Teenage circa Season 1 but not so much right now. And the guy who plays Augustus Waters (gaaahd, now I'm reminded of these teenage (not-so) boys in the FX and their discussion of how chaka the name Augustus Waters is. Like, who would name their son Augustus Waters daw. Blech. Shut up already!), umm, I didn't like him at first but he sort of grows on you. Actually, he's like a better-looking, less awkward version of Michael Cera. If Ansel Elgort had a nerdy older brother, it would be Michael Cera. Hahaha! So anyway, Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort both played their characters very well. They both portrayed it beautifully.

Of course I already knew how it would end but since I read this a year ago already, a lot of details I already have forgotten. Being that I am a sucker for sad albeit beautiful endings, I really loved this book and I am thankful that I did watch this movie because I was reminded of why I gave it five stars (ha!).
Yes. All the feels!
And because I already knew the ending, I really thought and am really convinced that I wouldn't cry. But I did. Dammit. Loved it and it was beautiful and who cares whether or not they were faithful to the book. 

And oh, since it was already TFIOS's second screening week, a lot of senior citizens were also watching. I was seated to this group of elderly ladies and I overheard one say, "ano ba itong napanuod natin." Hahaha! Nothing like cancer to remind one of his/her impending doom and I think granny doesn't want to reminded. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails