Friday, January 4, 2013

2013 BOOK CHALLENGE 1/35: THE FAULT IN OUR STARS

Technically, this book was read in the cusp of the old and new year, but I'm still going to put this under 2013 as majority of it I read today (hooray for self-declared rest days!) Although not the most cheery book to start my 2013 Book Challenge, it is, albeit, a very good one. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a book about two teenagers who fall in love amid their sickness. 


Hazel Grace hates going to Support Group meetings but one fateful day, it is where she meets Augustus Waters. It may seems as if Augustus was smitten with her at her first sight (you'll find out the real reason why he was ogling her if you read the book) but eventually, he does fall in love with her. 

Hazel tries to avoid the feeling, to not herself fall for him at first as she thinks she is a grenade ready to blow up any time soon, leaving those around her a casualty. The lesser casualties, the better. She likes him but she doesn't want to hurt him when she dies. But the star-crossed lovers' fate was doomed from the start. 
"I'm sorry," I said again.
"Me, too," he said.
"I don't ever want to do that to you," I told him.
"Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you."
I knew this would have a sad, if not tragic, ending. What I didn't expect was that little twist in the middle, but when I got nearer and nearer to the revelation, I sort of had an inkling. It was a sad story of two people who loved each other but regardless the futility of it all, still loved anyway.

My favorite character is Augustus because he is everything a girl could ask for in a boyfriend- intelligent, nice and good-looking (okay, 'hot' in Hazel's term) and also charismatic. I bet the readers fell in love with Gus at the same time Hazel did.
"'Mother's glass eye turned inward,'" Augustus began. As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.
Their love is really a real case of time is of the essence.

I wasn't hoping for miracles such as they'd both get better. I am actually a sucker for sad, beautiful endings such as this one.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails