Thursday, November 7, 2013

2013 Book Challenge 45/35: The Distance Between Us

Apparently, Philippine cinema and telenovelas do not have patent over langit-ka-lupa-ako storylines. However, I am very skeptical when it comes to romances like this because seriously, they are worlds apart. The meeting is the easiest part because although I think that people who belong to different social strata do not go or hang at in the same places, it still is possible. But maintaining the relationship is the hardest part. I am talking about a relationship just like Caymen and Xander. Caymen lives from paycheck to paycheck with her mother; while, Xander is a trust fund kind of kid. I expect that his parents will go berserk when they find out he likes and is kind of dating someone "insignificant." I was surprised that is was actually the other way around- Caymen's mom didn't like boys like Xander and would prefer tattooed and/or pierced musicians like Mason.

I like Caymen. She's relatively angst-free and even if she hasn't known her father, she's sort of okay with it and not making it an excuse to self-destruct or pimp her body away to fill in the "emptiness." Not that I am disregarding other people's feeling of emptiness because I know that happens, I just think that when one self-destructs, they do not see the the bigger picture which actually entails them having to live up to consequences of their bad choices. Anyway... So Caymen doesn't sulk away her life and just makes do with what's in front of her and I'd have to commend her mother for bringing her up well albeit lying to her about her grandparents.

Xander, also, is a character I like very much. Definitely one of the best fictional boyfriends- good-looking, nice and loaded (Ha!). He's definitely a boy you could take home to mom except if your mom is Caymen's. I actually liked Xander's subtlety when it comes to 'courting' Caymen. He didn't say it outright that he likes her or asked her out on dates. Style ;)

I really liked the story and super swoon-worthy. I actually broke my record time and finished reading this in a day. I, too, cannot believe it. Although I think medyo madaya ang ending which I will not divulge here. 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails