Wednesday, November 6, 2013

2013 Book Challenge 43 and 44/35: Pushing the Limits and Dare You To

Both titles are from the same author, Katie McGarry. I think I have put off reading these two books regardless of the high ratings on Goodreads because I felt I've had enough of the heavily sexed-up YA books. I just want plain swoon-worthy. So I chose Pushing the Limits in random- closed my eyes and read the title my finger points to.

Echo is full of angst and for once I understand and fully accept why this character is just reeking of drama. After all, her brother died in action, his father left her mother and married the babysitter and her mother tried to kill her.

Noah hates the world. He lost his parents to a fire, he got separated from his brothers and he was put under shitty foster care arrangements. He used to have the perfect life but suddenly it's all gone.

Noah and Echo, two broken people, meet. At first it was just a means to an end- they have conspired to work towards a common goal which is distract their social worker/guidance counselor to access their files which contains the answers to their questions.

First of all, I didn't believe that there are "broken" people. I used to think they just brought it upon themselves and they could snap out of it if they decide to. Not until I met a couple who, individually, were broken, met each other then found solace with the other. So that is why I think that Echo and Noah's ordeal is legit and I am not whining here how I think they're just being emo.

At first, I gave the book a 4-star rating because I thought I really liked it but then I read Dare You To which I liked even better than Pushing the Limits, but I feel it doesn't deserve 5 stars. So I reduced its rating to just 3 stars. I feel it's more of a 3.5.

Remember when I said that I like frustrating? Well, maybe frustration is not what I like. It is the anticipation of things to come.
"Beside, taking it slow creates build-up. I like anticipation."
I really like how these books are interconnected to each other, like with Pushing the Limits, we do not understand why Beth is hard on Echo and why she's being a super bitch. Well, in Dare You To, we totally get where she's coming from.

When I found that that this book was Beth's story, I assumed this was her and Isaiah's story. But when I read the synopsis on Goodreads, it involves another guy, Ryan. I was hesitant to read this at first because I really liked Isaiah and Beth together and when she didn't choose Isaiah, I felt really sorry for the guy. But Ryan is the type who grows on you, you eventually learn to like him.

In my opinion, Ryan is more swoon-worthy than Noah. Well, maybe because he's less angsty. Although maybe it is unfair to compare the two because they're coming from different backgrounds. Ryan is more privileged and he has more means to help the girl; while Noah barely has enough so even if he wants to help the girl, the means are limited to what he can afford.

So one of my favorite moment here in Dare You To was when Ryan was busted by his parents. Beth was already planning on running away with her mom and she wanted to leave a memory of her behind so she thought what better way to leave her mark than be his first time. So they did it while Ryan's parents were away on vacation. But one day after they came back, his mother confronted him, "I counted them, one is missing. Who's the girl?" Mega uh-oh moment. Sobrang parang BUSTED moment a la Gossip Girl. Parang ako yung kinabahan para sa kanya, haha!

Loved the two books! And it was not just all about sex as I thought it would be. I just feel it's more romantic when these characters do not jump on each other on the first opportunity they get. Prude. Ha.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails