Thursday, April 11, 2013

2013 BOOK CHALLENGE 17/35: DELIRIUM

It feels as if I've slowed down a bit. I blame it on Delirium. I chose it since there were super plenty of people gushing over it that I became intrigued with it and thought that this book might be really good. I think I threw all my expectations out the window before reading Delirium, but I guess maybe not entirely.

First up **SPOILER ALERT!** an FB friend kind of spoiled it for me when she posted one of these online memes that Hana told on Alex and Lena and since I'm done with it and nothing like that happened so I guess it would have yet to happen on Pandemonium. Frakkit. I hate spoilers. At least have the decency to warn people. I think some people do it on purpose. Bah.

Delirium is about this dystopian society where people who reach the age 18 are given the cure against amor deliria nervosa or in plain text, love. Love was said to be a deadly disease which caused people to think irrationally or to do crazy things. The government has devised a procedure which will "cure" the person from this infliction, which will make one happier.
Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. That's bad enough. The Book of Shhh also tells stories of those who died because of love lost or never found, which is what terrifies me the most.
The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.
For Lena, the procedure is only a few days away. The procedure is meant to cure one of amor deliria nervosa. Or, in other words- from living a meaningful life that's lived to the fullest. I know it's fiction but the thought is horrible. Imagine living your life like a robot devoid of any emotion, of choice. Sadness is a part of life; ika nga, one can never fully know happiness without sadness. The characters in the book who have been already treated, they're like machines just going through the daily grind without appreciating beauty, without feeling joy, without feeling anything. Napaka-empty. There are days when I feel empty and I cry over days like it. With Delirium, they get the procedure so they could lead an empty life. Afraid.

In this day and age where there is freedom of choice- everyone can choose what to buy, where to live, who to love- love can already make people do crazy stuff. In the book, people seemed crazier than normal because they're going into a procedure that's going to make them emotional zombies. I get it. And oh, didn't they know that the forbidden fruit is the sweetest?

In my opinion, if they're really serious about the cure, why not conduct the procedure at a much earlier age? Okay, given that it supposedly doesn't work on people younger than 18 but can't their scientists devise a way? We all know about teenagers and their raging hormones and that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure... so there.

I liked the book but I didn't love it. I thought it was too slow. I'm not really a fan of star-crossed lovers so just the fact that Alex and Lena are star-crossed lovers didn't make me swoon over their relationship. I mean, Romeo & Juliet's supposed to be the most romantic story ever and I actually don't like it because I think it's foolish killing yourself over love. Yehesss, spoken like a true cynic. Haha. Finishing the book was a bit of a struggle so I guess it would take me awhile before reading Pandemonium.

 Felt as if I underwent the procedure before reading this book because I felt nothing- Hindi ako kinilig. Kulang sa chemistry si Alex and Lena. After not getting all kilig over Hunger Games and now, Delirium- I'm a little disillusioned with dystopian-themed plots. I give it .

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails