Monday, March 18, 2013

2013 BOOK CHALLENGE 15/35: THAT BOY

I love love love this read. Gave it only ★ though. I don't give 5 stars easily, y'know. For a book to deserve 5 stars, it has to be as good as The Time Traveler's Wife or This is A Love Story, basically that I gush about it endlessly for a day or two. That Boy (Jillian Dodd) was an enjoyable read. There's something about journal-type books that I love; maybe, because they're very easy to read.

Basically a case of a girl falling for the boy-next-door but since the story involves two boys-next-door, you would have to stick with it til the end to find out which boy she ends up with. JJ was best friends with Phillip since they were both in nappies. Danny came a few years later. JJ's friendship with Danny didn't exactly start on a good note but this got me thinking about little boys being mean to little girls- meaning, he may have sort of liked-liked JJ. Anyway, ever since Danny found out JJ plays mean football, the three have been the best of friends.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

 Love triangles. I live for kilig and love triangles are oftentimes good sources of those. Phillip was JJ's first kiss, but it was Danny who taught her how to make out. Phillip may have never admitted to JJ's face or to anyone that he likes her but c'mon we all know he loves the girl. JJ may have never thought of Phillip that way but she has always lusted over Danny. Ha. The thing is this love triangle was complicated. Both Phillip and Danny were likable and they both adored JJ, so you see it was hard to take sides.

 The guys were swoon-worthy. Now that I am an abs-loving ahjumma, I swoon over Phillip and Danny because they both have abs and are good-looking. Haha. Danny may be a little bit of a douche, but he's also kinda sweet. But I am a sucker for good guys so I like Phillip more. For myself. Haha. If I were to choose who ends up with JJ between Danny and Phillip, I'd choose Phillip anytime. He's been in love with her for the longest time and he's always been there for her since time immemorial. But even if she ends up with Danny, I'd be perfectly fine with it. It'll be just a little sad because we know that would break Phillip's heart.

 As I have mentioned, I loved how it was written journal-type. It was very easy to read and I loved how the chapter headings were in JJ's handwriting (supposedly). I would have loved to get inside Phillip's or Danny's head sometimes but reading JJ's thoughts is really amusing.

So what did I learn from this book? That a girl and a guy can't be just friends. Mayroong isa na may malisya. Haha. But what the hell do I know, riiiight?

I forget why I picked this book to read but I'm glad I did. I usually judge a book by its cover and if I did choose what to read next based on book covers, this would not be it. Glad I have my beloved ereader here which only shows me titles so every book is on equal footing. Haha. I really should remind myself to write down thoughts as they come so when it's time to write, I do not come up with nonsensical babbling.

You know life is weird. There are times I feel so grown up and like 
I know everything I need to know, but then I think about the future 
and realize how little I do. 
THAT BOY, Jillian Dodd

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails