Tuesday, November 6, 2012

RT 2012 book 22: the summer i turned pretty

{image credits}
My files are taking forever to attach so I'm going to squeeze in one post.

After listening to Twilight on audio books, I swore to never "read" another book via audio books unless it was the author herself/himself who was doing the reading. So anyway, Twilight was already a distant memory so I gave audiobooks another try- with The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han.

Okay. It was an okay read, very easy to get into the flow of the story even if I was busy with other things. This is just what I need right now, an easy read, something to keep me entertained while working. The TV keeps me distracted so audiobooks are perfect. That way, I was hitting two birds (hmm.. three, even!) with one stone: 1) reading a book, 2) working, and 3) getting closer to reaching my 2012 Reading Challenge. Huzzah!

Belly is your literal na mahaba ang hair bida. (Micay, isdatchu?) And humble pa siya sa lagay na 'yan because apparently, she is not aware of how beautiful she is. Echoserang palaka. Belly has been spending her summers with her mother's best friend's family since time immemorial. For Belly, summers are the highlights of her years since she'll be close to her long-time crush, Conrad. Her mom's BFF, Suzanne, has two sons- Conrad and Jeremiah. Conrad is the object of her affection. Jeremiah is the best friend. Belly's the object of Jeremiah's affection. Yes, it is complicated. But exciting ;)

But this summer's different. Aside from other issues our teenage protagonists are dealing with such as divorce, break-ups and cancer- Belly also became pretty. Shallow, no? [this reminds me of a Toni Gonzaga commercial- a slimming tea- wherein she enumerates what she likes about her life which includes being an actress, a singer BUT MOST ALL, she likes being sexy. As if being sexy is the end-all and be-all of her existence. Ang stupid lang]  Personally, I think the author should have come up with a less superficial title. Okay, this summer Belly became pretty so Conrad finally noticed her. I just find it superficial kasi. Maybe I could write a book with a title The Summer I Grew Boobs or The Summer My Braces Came Off with a protagonist who's harboring a long-time crush on this boy but has never looked at her in that way but during that summer when she had boobs/her braces came off, this boy finally noticed her. Anubah. Anyway, I just want Belly to end up with Jeremiah (but then again this is just the first part of a trilogy) because he already liked her even before she "became pretty."

I enjoyed listening to it because I LIVE FOR KILIG. Every time Belly would elicit attention from Conrad, didn't we, too, wish the same would happen to us. Omigaaaahd, am I too old for stories like this? Anyhoo, I'm on Team Jeremiah. Conrad has got to show us his redeeming qualities to get me on his team.

In fernez, walang deflowering na naganap dito. Haha. Ha.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails