Sunday, June 24, 2012

kdrama: the greatest love

I knew I had to watch this drama because of the good reviews I've read about it. It was actually difficult to get my hands on a copy since I don't want to settle on a DVD with poor quality subtitles and the series doesn't load quickly or properly on video streaming sites. I was actually surprised to find out this aired even before Heartstrings. Anyway, thanks to my high school batchmate who's even more addicted to Korean dramas and showbiz more than I am, I am updated with my stash. Finally, I got my grubby hands on a good copy of The Greatest Love (and Rooftop Prince and The Moon that Embraces the Sun). Aja! :P



The Greatest Love begins with Gu Ae Jong (Gong Hyo Jin), a has-been who is trying to make it into the entertainment scene once again. Ae Jong was once a member of a famous girl group, National Treasure Girls, but due to some scandal she was involved in, the group disbanded and her career spiraled downwards. After the scandal (that she was in a relationship with a married man) and because people thought she was the reason why the National Treasure Girls disbanded, she became one of the most loathed celebrities in Korea. Even after ten years, people still see her as this home wrecker and loathsome woman. With a simple twist of fate, Ae Jong's path crossed with Dok Go Jin (Cha Seung Won)- one of Korea's top stars.

Being a top star, Dokko thinks highly of himself. Ae Jong and Dokko may have started off on the wrong foot, but after some time, Dokko finds himself strangely attracted to Ae Jong. Personally, at that time, I didn't know if he just took pity on Ae Jong or if he's really starting to fall for her. Dok Go-jin cannot believe it himself, that he is falling for her. Him- a top star! Falling for a has-been. A hated has-been, at that. However, Dokko still can't accept his feelings for her, but at the same time he keeps on doing good deeds for her like letting his management company take Gu Ae-jong in.

Gu Ae-jong's first project with Representative Moon (that other girl from Hotelier. Ugh, I love my old-school Korean actors) is being one of the 'searchees' on Couple Making, a dating reality show. Yoon Pil-joo, 'The Perfect Man,' is the 'searcher,' and although he initially didn't want to take part in it, he changed his mind when he sees Ae-jong's profile in the 'searchees.' Pil-joo is interested in Ae-jong and she was also interested in him at that time. Dokko, then, finally admits to her that he likes her but Ae-jong just told him that she doesn't like him and that she will never, ever like him back.

Okay, hanggang diyan na lang ang storytelling because I don't want to spoil it for you ☺ THE GREATEST LOVE IS A MUST-WATCH. I had high expectations from this drama and it didn't fail me. Honestly, there was no dull moment while watching. It is a legit love triangle- medyo mahirap pumili between the two guys. In some dramas, they have no-brainer love triangles naman eh. I mean, it should be hard for the girl to choose and with TGL, it is hard to choose between Dokko and Pil-joo. For me, Ae-jong could end with any of the two and I'd be fine with it. Both were good catch. Actually, you'd say Pil-joo is a better catch cos he is cute, nice, intelligent and, ahem, financially stable. Dokko is also good-looking and financiall stable but he's too full of himself but he made us fall in love with him with his adorkableness.

Cha Seung-won. Omona! I didn't even recognize him!!!



I remember he was one of my crushes back then. This is actually the first drama of him I've ever seen. I first saw him in a Jang Nara music video seven years ago...


His brows are shaved now, I don't know if it's only for his Dok Go-jin role or for real. But man, I loved him back then. I prefer him with thick eyebrows, mala-Crayon Shin-chan. I remember this was way before MTV and Channel V played Korean music videos and I only have Arirang and the internet for my Korean music fix. I did heavy research just to know what is the name of that guy in Jang Nara's music video. Bilib din naman ako sa aking researching (stalker-ish) ability ;) Omigosh, I remember I even joined a Jang Nara contest in Pops in Seoul and I actually won!!! I have Jang Nara's double CD of Third Story with a DVD of this music video- and all because of that guy (Cha Seung won) running around in her music video.

But of course, every Korean drama is not without this

MANDATORY SHOWER SCENE

Ooh, Cha Seung-won's abs ;) Haha. Before there were only mandatory piggy back rides in each and every Korean drama. Now, every drama has this. Well, almost. Not that I am complaining. Except na lang siguro si Cha Tae-hyun na hindi ako interested makita ang abs although I think he has butt exposure in My Sassy Girl.

Most characters were lovable, except the contrabidas. Actually, even Kang Se-ri  kind of redeemed herself in the end. I was wondering lang why Hyung gyu, Ae-jong's nephew, liked Dok-go better than Pil-joo when Pil-joo looks like Pororo, his favorite cartoon character. 


Can you see the resemblance? Okay, fine, salamin lang. 

Anyhoo, I love love love this drama. If you need a kilig fix, this is it. Well, maybe do not expect too much cos my taste in dramas are kinda weird. Basta I liked loved it at kahit love story siya ng mga thunder cats, I still went giddy ballistic over it. This is a good drama to watch after that awfully sloooow drama, Protect the Boss. Ayan, speaking of Protect the Boss, I cannot fully grasp the reasoning why the lead actress chose who she chose. Well, both guys were not that good-looking pero mas lamang naman yung isa. Anyway, that's a different drama so I'll post about that one if and when I can get myself to finish watching it- medyo masakit sa bangs ang love triangle nila dun eh. So far, The Greatest Love is the best Kdrama I've seen this year. I'm planning to watch Rooftop Prince next and hopefully that, too, will not disappoint.

 deugeun, deugeun
currently my LSS

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails