Thursday, May 10, 2012

kdama: dream high

Hey, I'm on a roll! Meeting up with Jing has definitely ignited once again my Kpop obsession. There's  Dream High in her stash and within a Kpop minute, I'm done with all 16 hours of it.

Dream High reminds me of Fame. Actually, it is Fame, Kpop edition. I have yet to see Fame (both 1980 and 2009 versions) but I think it was about youngsters who were working towards their dream. The story is focused on four characters: Hye-mi, Baek-hee, Jin-guk and Sam-dong.

Hye-mi was trained in classical music and was supposed to attend Juilliard School in New York but due to financial constraints, she was forced to study and train locally in Kirin Art School. She auditioned together with her best friend, Baek-hee, who back then was also her #1 fan and would follow her around everywhere! Because Hye-mi was too proud and too full of herself, she gave off a negative vibe with the admission panel. Although she was undoubtedly talented, she didn't pass the auditions. Baek-hee bargained on behalf of her friend- either both of them go to Kirin or she won't go at all. Hye-mi doesn't feel the same and said some things that hurt Baek-hee. To cut the story short, that was the end of their friendship.

Mr. Kang was supposedly to be fired by the board but Bae Yong Jun's character saved his ass and gave him the responsibility of finding three, very talented kids: Go Hye-mi, Jin-guk and Song Sam-dong. The three belonged to the Half-Admissions Class and were treated differently by the entire Kirin Art School community. I don't know why they're called Half-Admissions Class, but belonging there they were treated as second-class citizens. They weren't allowed to use school facilities and were not given the same privileges and opportunities the other students have.

But with perseverance and determination (at pamamaraan) and a stroke of luck, they were able to hurdle the challenges. And in a year's time, they were all changed, better persons.


What I love about this drama is it starts with a question: Who is K?

Among the 4 lead characters, one of them eventually makes it to Hollywood and is the first Korean singer to win a Grammy. The K pendant was originally Bae Yong Jun's character's then he gave it to Baek-hee as a token or anting-anting to help her in her endeavor of reaching her dream. Then it eventually became a lucky charm that one passes to another who needs it at that time- yes, a la Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

What I also like is the love angle. Of course, hindi mawawala yan. In hindsight, I didn't get too kilig over it. There's just the question of who Hye-mi will choose: Jin-guk or Sam-dong. Personally, I am Team Sam-dong because he's just adorable. I find him adorable. Kahit minsan masungit.


I also like Hye-mi.



Ikaw, sino bet mo?

It was bitin but I like it. I hear there's Dream High 2 but I am not interested.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails