Wednesday, March 28, 2012

project 102 + book # 6: the hunger games

Ycel already recommended some time ago that I read this trilogy, but I didn't really pick up until the movie's here. Of course I wanted to read the book before I watch it on the big screen. Got myself a Hunger Games ebook then started reading away. True to what A said, the book could be finished in hours. Actually, she finished the whole trilogy in one weekend! But since I was constantly ambulant, I can't finish reading the book which requires a computer or a PC or those new thingamajigs that cost a fortune. I swore I won't watch the movie until I finish reading the book.

I didn't keep my promise.

I watched The Hunger Games without finishing the book. Pero in fernez, I was already in Chapter 22 that time.

The Hunger Games: Book Edition

{image credits}
The good thing about reading the book first before watching its film adaptation, I have my own set of characters in my mind. I'm grateful I have this very playful imagination that allows me to see what I'm reading in my head. And this is also why I refused to watch even the trailer.

The Hunger Games is definitely a page-turner- you'd want to know what happened next RIGHT AWAY. Like with my favorite series and books, this is a criterion. It is actually a sad book. It's post-apocalyptic so supposedly they have had the chance to set things right, start on the right foot since they're working with a clean slate. But unfortunately it's the same old story of unequal distribution of wealth, resources and power. Sad.

The Hunger Games: Movie Adaptation

{image credits}
The feel of the movie was that of an art film- quiet, shaky and has this sad feel to it. It was okay but of course they cannot put all the details in the movie and details are part and parcel of why it was a good read. I can't even imagine how those who haven't read the book could properly get the story. 

Like in my case, by the time I watched the movie I've read only until Chapter 22 meaning I still do not have the tiniest idea how it would end. Well, except maybe for the fact that Katniss will live because it is a trilogy after all. I liked it that the ending was something to anticipate for. However, when I read the remaining chapters, there were some details that I felt weren't that obvious from the movie which, in my opinion, could be easily misconstrued by the viewers. Or baka ako lang yun? Hmm.

Also, I know the cast has minions and rabid fans, most especially Peeta (judging from the shrieks he elicited from teenage girls inside the cinema) but I was imagining someone cuter. I wanted someone more attractive sana kasi para medyo mahirap yung choosing process between Peeta and Gale. 

So there, Book wins over Movie again as expected.

Also, there's this debate over which book series is better: Twilight or Hunger Games.

My answer is this: content-wise, it's Hunger Games. Kung paguapuhan ng male lead, it's Twilight. And Hunger Games gets a bonus for having a likable cast. With Twilight, I could only take Bella for so long. I didn't even finish reading the Twilight series because Bella has gone from annoying to more annoying to most annoying to most annoying to the nth power. 

Vanity Fair did a photoshoot on the Hunger Games cast~
{image credits}
Just one look and I was instantly reminded of this


Diba? But this was also a Vanity Fair shoot. They ran out of ideas na siguro.

It is understandable why the book will always be better than the movie adaptation, but sometimes there are movie adaptations that doesn't do justice to the book. I agree with A that the movie was nicely made and it was almost faithful to the book version. I say almost because in the movie it was Katniss who found the mockingjay pin and bought it for herself, while in the book it was the mayor's daughter, Madge, who pinned it to her dress before she was sent off to the Capitol. 

Definitely looking forward to reading the second and third part of this trilogy, most especially that A has sort of filled me in on what's happening next. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails