Thursday, August 11, 2011

our own version of the intramuros walking tour

I once read a quote that says "Do one thing everyday that scares you," and after yesterday's calesa ride along the highway with the rushing cars and jeepneys and buses, I think I'd rather be on the safe side most of the time. I'd rather be safe and alive, thank you.

With A, C and her friend S, we went on a little tour around Manila starting with the public transportation. I am very much well-acquainted with the metro's railway system being it my main mode of transportation but I am not sure with C, most especially A who doesn't take ANY kind of public transportation (and this includes taxis... well, that's just the way she rolls. She even complained about her jeans sticking to her skin because of the heat and sweat, I wanted to tell her, Welcome to my world. But this doesn't mean I don't complain when my jeans cling to my skin because I do and I do it all the frickin' time). We were supposed to meet at the Araneta- Cubao station but met at Recto station instead. Got on a jeep then a cab going to Wai Ying- my little Chinese food haven. At hindi naman ako napahiya- they all loved the food! It was worth all the hassle.


After lunch, we headed to Intramuro. First stop was the San Agustin Church. I was only interested in seeing the church and the  trompe-l'Å“il ceiling. I didn't know they also have a museum. So in we went to take in a little bit of history. Because we were taking up Fili in class, I appreciated this trip to the museum more. Seeing all those friar garb and the choir loft, etc. made me giddy and want to learn more about our history under the Spanish era. I think I actually want to teach History. Ha.

Next stop was the Manila Cathedral which we just passed, then we walked going to Fort Santiago. Tired from all the walking, we took a rest and sat on the benches. With A, we would always hang out in their house and malls and making kwento and chismisan in Fort Santiago was something new for us, haha! 17 years of friendship and this is the first time we ever went to an open space together! Laman kami ng mall for 17 years! Anyway, walkathon na naman inside the Fort to see the dungeons. Man, I really suck at playing tourist guide.

It was time to go home.

We hailed a taxi and the driver was asking us P200 for a ride until the LRT. We refused. The calesa driver offered to bring us to the Recto station for P100 (which we later realized was per person). Oh wow. I don't know why I agreed but if there's one thing I learned from this experience it's that I'll never, ever ride a calesa again for two reasons: 1) I take pity on the horse who will lug me around the city (over two bridges pa, mind you!), and 2) I actually fear for my life. And I was seated in front pa! That 30-minute fright ride I was already imagining all the worst-case scenarios. HEADLINE: APAT NA BABAE NAHULOG SA CALESA SA AVENIDA. Well, it didn't happen. Thank God it didn't happen.

I've never been so happy to see the LRT station. On our way home after a long, tiring day of walking and talking under the scorching heat of the sun. We all smelled like sunshine (Read: amoy-araw) but we didn't care because it was one fun, well-spent day.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails