Tuesday, August 16, 2011

game of thrones

I always always end up finding myself paying a visit to the nearby mall to get a new stash of dibidis if ever I am in Megamall. My purchases last Saturday were Prom, Game of Thrones and something about the prophecies of Nostradamus. Opted to watch Prom first because was head was hurting like hell and I needed to watch something that doesn't require my brain to work. Game of Thrones, next. 


I got it because I was intrigued what was this Game of Thrones people were talking about. Normally, I resist the urge to jump on bandwagons but I thought better to get ahead before the rest of the pack, ya? We're all lemmings after all, aren't we?

King Robert Baratheon asked his good friend Lord Eddard Stark to be the King's Hand. Although Lord Stark doesn't want to take the role he's offered, he takes it anyway. With many people eying the throne including the Lannisters, there were numerous plottings behind the King's back and those who were after his good so they could sit on the coveted Iron Throne. What was once Lord Stark's relatively peaceful life now a complete chaos.

Of course I am for the Starks because they represent the good in this story. It was actually surprising to find out some people vie for the Lannisters just because they're good-looking. And this is why so many people misjudge because they judge a book by its cover.

I like it but I didn't like-like it. It was entertaining and keeps you glued to the screen and makes you want to devour one episode after another but the drab, gloomy feel of the series was draining. And so much negativity! Though I feel the same is still happening nowadays only we're "civilized." Instead of swords and butchering off heads, we have guns and bombs to do the job. Aside from that, it's still the same old story of power struggle, betrayal and pera-pera-lang-yan mentality. It was quasi-depressing to watch this and see so much evil in the world.

But at least we've come a long way since then when women were treated as commodities- 'nothing like a woman after a battle,' para bang beer lang ang pinag-uusapan. Makes you feel so lucky that we live in the here and now. One would really wish for a son instead of a daughter back then. Speaking of family affairs, another shocker was the practice of incest. Apparently some houses wanted to keep their bloodline as pure as possible and to do so brothers and sisters mate with each other. Eeew, no?

It was a very interesting watch and I am actually looking forward to season 2 which won't be out until April 2012. I really have no idea and no expectations as to how next season would go and it's better to keep it that way.

Toodles

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails