Thursday, March 11, 2010

Pick Flick: Alice in Wonderland

Loved this movie. Watched it on IMAX (with AB) in SM North Edsa so it was extra fun. The thing is... IMAX only added to its awesomeness, it would still be awesome even without the 3D effect unlike some overrated 3D movies I've seen (cough* Avatar*cough).

I grew up reading and re-reading this Alice in Wonderland book we have so I am familiar with all characters, only I had different images in mind, such as the image below.
Now, where is that book? I loved that book as a kid. I don't know if liked it for the story or for the illustrations though. I know I always found the caterpillar and the cheshire cat annoying. Anyhoo, there's always this phase of the moon that I am reminded of the cheshire cat :)


Okay, back to the movie... I LOVE IT! I couldn't be anymore redundant. Although there were some lines I didn't understand (darn English accent!) Tim Burton's version is dark compared to what I grew up to. All the actors were superb in their acting, especially Helena Bonham Carter as the Queen of Hearts (or the Red Queen, not very sure). She may be the story's antagonist but really, her scenes were the movie's highs. "Off with her head!"

"You've lost your muchness." This was one of the nice quotable quotes from the movie. AB loved this one, she kept repeating it after the movie. I like it, too :) Since Alice in Wonderland is a symbolism for a girl's coming of age and that Alice kept having this same dream again and again, that she has been to the wonderland many times before as a kid, muchness may mean the traits of a kid, such as innocence, one loses growing up. Or muchness could also mean the carefree attitude kids have that gets lost once we grow up and assume "grown-up" responsibilities. I hope I haven't lost my muchness yet.

I would want to watch this movie again, just for the sake of watching it again. Ang gulo, ano? Well, I may have missed something while I was concentrating on the movie's 3Dness (ha!)... waiting for the next scene with 3D effects, that is. Though I won't recommend this movie to kids because it's too dark for them. Yes, it is entertaining and fun but I don't think kids need to see a river of blood filled people's heads. Isn't that image too gruesome for kids to see? But for big kids like me, GO FORTH AND WATCH IT! Me likey! :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails