Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Holiday

Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Jude Law, Jack Black

I love it! It was a very nice movie and it also got me into the Christmas vibe already (since the movie was set Christmas-time).

I love Kate Winslet's English accent.

And I love this loooong monologue by Iris (Kate Winslet) at the very start of the movie...

For some, quite inexplicably, love fades.
For others, love is simply lost.
But then of course, love can also be found even if just for the night.
And then there's another kind of love, the cruelest kind, the one that almost kills its victims.

It's called unrequited love...

Of that I'm an expert.

Most love stories are about two people who fall in love with each other. But what about our stories? Those of us who fall in love alone... We are the victims of the one-sided affair. We are the cursed of the loved ones. We are the unloved ones. The walking wounded, the handicapped without the advantage of a great parking space. Yes, you are looking at one such individual. And I have willingly loved that man for over 3 miserable years, the absolute worst years of my life- the worst Christmases, the worst birthdays. New year's eves are brought about by tears and valium. These years that I've been in love have been the darkest days of my life. All because I've been cursed by being in love with a man who does not and will not love me back. Oh God! Just the sight of him... Heart-pounding, throat-thickening, absolutely can't swallow... oh, the usual symptoms...

Medyo familiar lang... :D

And I also liked the answer to the Miles' (Jack Black) question of why he is attracted to a person who he knows is not good-

Miles: Why am I attracted to a person I know isn't good?

Iris: I happen to know the answer to this... Because you're hoping you're wrong and everytime she does something that tells you she's no good, you ignore it. And everytime she comes through and surprises you, she wins you over and you lose the argument with yourself what she's not for you.

Winner!

Basta, I like this movie. The only (green) shitty thing was the audio kept shifting from English to Russian and the subtitles are incomprehensible. (Don't ask why. I bet you know the answer.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails