Wednesday, June 3, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge: The Girl On The Train

source
Goodreads says I'm only three books behind but the real count is actually eight. EIGHT! I've been slacking off when it comes to my reading list but I'm proud to say that in real life, I'm pretty productive ;) While I wasn't reading books, I've been meeting up with friends, been to Palawan and Baguio with family and have been working on orders. But still the "perfectionist" in me is disappointed that I am waaaay behind my target.

The 17th book this year is Paula Hawkins' The Girl On The Train. Reminded me so much of Gone Girl, a book a found engaging enough albeit a little slow. However, I liked The Girl On The Train much better. I found a little slow, just like GG, but maybe the main character was more likable here. Nick and Amy of GG were both at fault; while Rachel, even if not without fault, was more pardonable, how she reacted to things was more understandable. Sure, she became an alcoholic but that was how she coped when she got frustrated.

You know, it scares me how I'm usually good at pinpointing who's the real killer in these thriller novels (and at those crime & investigation shows). I remember, some years ago, when one of my blockmates asked us a question that was supposed to determine who was psychotic tendencies, and guess what- an article about the exact, same question was appeared on my Facebook timeline- click here if you want to find out if you have the mind of a serial killer. So anyway, suffice to say- I kind of guessed who the killer was in the book. Of course, I still have had my doubts whether or not the killer was really the killer- most especially when Megan, in one of her recollections- didn't like the way the killer looked at her.

My favorite character still is Rachel, even she makes me want to hit her with her drinking but I guess that's what happens when one is addicted to something. My least favorite character is Anna. The nerve of that girl for not wanting Rachel to go near the house in Blenheim, for calling Tom. I guess what happened serves her right. And hooray for Rachel for getting to start her life over again. I was still sort of rooting for a Rachel- Scott ending, but alas, after Scott's outburst at Rachel- he was never to be read of again in the book.

Four stars ☺ Next book in my list is Jenny Han's P.S. I Still Love You. Exciiiiiited :-D

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails