Tuesday, August 27, 2013

2013 Book Challenge 27/35: Gone Girl

A lot of good reviews made me get a copy of Gone Girl but what made me read it already was recommendation from Cindy Crawford. Siyempre, hindi personal recommendation. I just read it from a magazine interview.

Gone Girl was a thrilling read. One day, Nick's wife of five years suddenly goes missing and all evidences leads to him.

After watching a bazillion crime & investigation shows on TV, I have therefore concluded that it's always the husband (of the wife, sometimes). In the earlier part of the book, I was so sure that it was Nick who was responsible for Amy's disappearance but there's this little voice inside my head suggesting otherwise. I even thought this might be similar to El Zahir where the wife left the husband. But upon nearing the 50% mark, I just had this inkling that maybe it was Amy who was responsible for all this.

In the beginning, I thought that this is just Amy's little game just so Nick would pay more attention to her but after a few days, I thought if the police were involved maybe she would have come out and say everything's just a joke. But she didn't. This little voice niggling in my head was right. And because I was able to predict it, I am afraid to find out my own psycho-factor (I still remember that little psycho test Karl did back in college and it was only I who gave the 'correct' answer which qualifies me as psychotic. Pero wala naman basis. Haha ---> turns out may basis siya. Read here. As of 6-3-15). PSYCHO BITCH.

It was an interesting read but it got a little slow for me when I reached the second part of the book. Maybe because I was waiting for Nick's vindication but it never came. I felt sorry for him but at the same time, he brought it to himself. He has awoken the monster inside his wife, so to speak.

I give it three stars. It was interesting at first but it didn't hold my interest until the end. There came a point in the book where I was just reading just so I could already move on to my next. That, plus seeing if Nick will ever be vindicated.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails