Saturday, March 7, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge: My Name is Memory

Book reco by my cousin who noticed my propensity for books with uber-frustrating storylines. I reckon I needed a break from my usual YA reads and though, technically, My Name Is Memory sort of also belongs to the YA section given the ages of our characters, it still was a different kind.

Did I like it? Hmm... I'd say not so much. At first I found it boring, slow. Got bored on Daniel's retelling of his and Lucy's past- how he was miserable for a kagillion years- and it just goes on and on from North Africa to Pergamum to the Belgian Congo and so on and so forth. I was like, 'Okay, I get it. You're miserable.' These parts reminded me of Before Ever After (which I didn't like very much). I suppose these retellings were necessary, but did it have to be sooooo tedious?

So I took a break and read Winger then got back on MNIM and thankfully, things were faster-paced this time. I think this was at 72%. Just imagine- 3/4 of the book was a snoozefest. The remaining 28% was interesting enough for me to finish it today but man, I wasn't a fan of that ending. With that kind of ending, I thought the author's definitely going to publish a sequel but after seeing that this was published five years ago, maybe not.

I just wished the author extended Marnie's brother's exposure here. Actually, I would have liked it better if he turned out to be present-day-Joaquim. That even without the ability to recognize souls, Lucy's and present-day-Joaquim's are still intertwined and eventually, Daniel will join the cast. Hindi yung bigla na lang susulpot si Joaquim. Felt that was too abrupt. The story also reminds me a little of a short story I made for our Phil Lit class in high school- masyadong mopey.


This wasn't a frustrating love story. It was annoying. All that eklavu and no ending? Irita. I just watched Love, Rosie last night and that my friend, is how you do frustrating. I am definitely going to read the book.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails