Tuesday, June 3, 2014

2014 Book Challenge: Biggest Flirts

Okay here I am again going all-preachy about how these teenagers are so promiscuous. Biggest Flirts (Jennifer Echols) may have been one of the books with the fastest hook up that ever happened in a YA book. I think Tia and Will's hook up happened even faster than those characters in Trish Doller's Something Like Normal. But after reading a lot of these American YA books, I think I am slowly coming to terms with how fast things go in their part of the world. However, I think I still need someone to explain to me what exactly is a hook up. Is it everything, but...?

Tia and Will hook up within the first ten seconds upon getting acquainted with each other. Okay it wasn't that fast but they did hook up at the end of night and of course the prude in me was shocked at how these kids progress sexually. I get that this is fiction where everything is possible such as hooking up with a guy you just met and he doesn't lose his respect for you, but in real life, 'wag isuko ang Bataan, girls. Spoken like a true, blue prude. Ha.

that's right
I like Will. Tia, not so much. This is not a case of double standards and this is not based on their propensity to engage in certain "activities." Well, I sort of have this issue with girls who self-destruct and obviously, Tia is one of those girls. But then again Tia is not solely to blame with regard to her actions. Her family is pretty messed up and with an absentee father and she is just a teenager who does what she thinks will get her through life. Plus, Tia is smart and she has what it takes to rise above her situation so notwithstanding the circumstances of their first meeting, I reckon Will was the best thing to have ever happened to her.

But props to Tia for changing for the better not because of Will but because she wants to even if it was Will who made her realize that she wanted something better and that she is capable of being better.

Two stars for Biggest Flirts. Although there was some semblance of kilig, kulang pa din. Groping and other stuff that entail a hook up doesn't automatically equate to kilig. They should learn from Lara Jean. Hehehe.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails