Wednesday, October 2, 2013

2013 Book Challenge 37/35: Stealing Parker

Omigosh, read this one in record time! I started it Sunday night and I was done with it Monday night. That's fast. Maybe for some, a day or two is just enough to finish a book but for me, that is a feat. I consider myself a slow reader.

I liked this better than Chasing Jordan, the first book I read by Miranda Kenneally. These book heroines, they're always intelligent and beautiful. Can't they write something with a normal-looking girl who still gets the guy? So yeah, that's just me complaining. Whatever.

Parker is this pretty, smart (she's the valedictorian), sporty (she's one of the best softball players in campus) girl who has just recently underwent a life-changing event which was her mother leaving them for another woman. That alone is already distressing and tough for a 17 year old, add to that the ridicule she and her family get in church. This totally reminds me of Amanda Bynes in Easy A
And to make matters worse, her bestfriend Laura is one of the those people who ridicule her. But who cares about Laura when you have hot guys with sexy abs as your friends, right? Well, maybe except for his best boy friend, Drew, who turned out to be gay. But you get my drift- who needs an insecure bitch for a friend when you're surrounded by hot guys? Mamatay silang lahat sa inggit. Haha. But kidding aside, she should be thankful for the "scandal" because she was able to weed out the fair-weather friend. Drew has been a good friend but of course later in the book we find out what his Achilles' heel is.

This is the second book I've read this year wherein the mother left her family in search of her own happiness. My sister understands this wholly, while I do not. My sister is also pro-divorce. I am not. She says why punish people by not granting them freedom to get out of a situation they're not happy with. I get that but sometimes there are other factors to consider such as collateral damage- when there are kids involved. I think that before you think of your own happiness, consider your children's happiness first. You can at least talk to them before just exiting from their lives or wait a little longer until they're older and (maybe) more understanding of the situation. Look what happened to Ryan as a result of the mom leaving.

So mabalik tayo sa hot boys and a hot teacher. Let's talk about the hot teacher first. Brian, the 23-year-old assistant coach for the baseball team, may be the adult but what man would resist when a beautiful, hot and young girl is practically throwing herself at him

Parker started it. She kissed him first. He resisted her advances. He gave in eventually, though. But you see, he's only human and maybe a bit of a perv but still he's like just six years older than her and if she were 25 and he's 31, it's perfectly okay. But then again she's only 17 so it's not. But I guess he also kind of encouraged her by flirting. So it was nakakakilig at first when it's just harmless flirting but when they their relationship advanced into something physical, he became scary demanding more than what Parker is willing to give. So kahit gaano pa siya ka-pogi, he automatically became this creepy old guy taking advantage of a young girl.

Before it was confirmed that Drew is actually gay, I thought he may have feelings for Parker and he was interested in her and just didn't want to spoil their friendship because that's what almost always happens, right? Plus, I thought Drew confided in Will (Corndog) that he likes Parker which made Will tell her not to hurt Drew's feelings. That is why I really really thought Drew liked Parker. Turns out it was Will/Corndog who Drew was interested with which is not-so-good news for Parker who started to liked Will. It's complicated talaga. Haha. I momentarily hated Drew for hating Parker for liking Will. I mean, what if she really likes Will and Will also likes her, does she stop liking Will who also likes her back just because of Drew even if Will is not interested in Drew in any way? Unfair lang.

I gave it four stars because I liked-liked it. I super enjoyed reading it and I really liked Parker. And Will.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails