Friday, August 30, 2013

2013 Book Challenge 29/35: The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight

This book was a lovely surprise- just a perk for keeping my expectations low. I don't remember from where I read it but there was a review or something that said that this was a shitty book. Although it has a 3.79 rating on Goodreads, I now know better than to rely on Goodreads. Actually, I don't even know why I decided to read this book.

So Hadley's dad went all the way to London for work and then one day told her mom that he's fallen in love with someone else and wanted a divorce. Fast forward several years after, Hadley is on her way (against her wishes) to her father's wedding to that British woman. She was four minutes late to her flight and the rest, as they say, is history.

Four minutes is all that made the difference. If it weren't for those four short minutes, Hadley wouldn't have met Oliver and I am sure that she wouldn't be accepting of her father and his new wife that quickly.

It was on during the wait for the next flight that Hadley met Oliver. He was being helpful and initially, she sort of rejected his help because she was too absorbed in her own bubble like how she's angry with her dad and that she doesn't want to meet Charlotte (who is, by the way, that British woman) and how she wishes she chose not to go at all. So I guess Oliver liked what he saw and no matter how many pre-emptive supalpal were thrown at him, he went for it anyway. See girls, if a man wants you, nothing can keep him away; but, if he doesn't, nothing can make him stay. That one I learned first from watching Hotelier. So, I don't remember from which moment Hadley noticed that, hey this British guy is kinda cute. They started talking and from then on we knew where all this would lead to. Like duh, the title suggests that already.

I guess I liked the book because, of course, kilig-inducing.
Yes. Just like this.
and you know I sort of like this innocent-ish type of stories. With the proliferation of highly-sexed up YA books or just any other highly-sexed up book for that matter, it's always a breath of fresh air when it comes to pa-tweetums books like this one. Aside from being a prude, there's something about this kind of stories, like, say, the concept of true love as opposed to lust at first sight. This book reminds me of This Is A Love Story (Jessica Thompson) because of the innocence of their feelings toward each other. There was no mention of any desire to shag. I say I am a cynic but obviously, I still am a hopeless romantic deep down inside. Hey, it's just me using reverse psychology on the Universe. Har-dee-har-har.

Anyway, this thing with Oliver actually helped Hadley in two ways. First, the obvious, which was having a boyfriend with a sexy accent; and second, it totally took her focus away from her father, the other woman and their wedding. Although, in my opinion, that was real quick of her to finally be accepting of them. Mr. Andrew Sullivan still has to thank Oliver for that.

So yeah, I pretty much liked it. It was such a nice and easy read and I want another book very similar to this. I therefore conclude, hope is not dead. Haha.
You wait for ages, and then two come along at once.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails