Monday, August 12, 2013

2013 Book Challenge 26/35: Dreaming of Mr. Darcy

Due to my usual last-minute way of dealing with things, I was not able to write a (non)review of my 26th book. 26!!! And to think I only finished 25 books by December last year. This calls for a celebration. Yabu or Cyma? Hihi :)

Dreaming of Mr. Darcy begins with Kay Ashton who has just recently suffered the loss a her mother and then a friend who, amazingly, left her a significant amount of money which afforded her to quit her office work and buy a property in Lyme Regis where Jane Austen's Persuasion was set. Incredibly, a film adaptation of Persuasion was being filmed in the area and by stroke of coincidence, they stayed in Kay's bed & breakfast aptly named Wentworth House, named after Captain Wentworth, Persuasion's hero.

A little contrived, in my opinion.

It was a cute little love story, though, don't get me wrong. I sort of liked the love triangles and webs among the characters in the novels. Adam, our shy writer, fell in love at first sight with Kay who has the hots for Oli who is playing the character of Captain Wentworth who is paired with Gemma, the lead actress in the movie who also thinks she's in love with Oli but eventually developed feelings for the lights guy and all the while, Kay thought that Adam liked Gemma and helped the "lovebirds" get closer. It's complicated ba kamo?

This is a problem for Kay. I mean, these folks were her first customers and already she's falling for one of them. Will she do this every time a guest catches her fancy? She knows she has to be professional and not get tangled in romantic relationships with the guests but what did she do? The complete opposite of that. And I don't know if I've really gotten good in second-guessing book endings or it was that obvious even for other readers, but I kind of already knew there's something going on between Oli and Teresa.

Another thing I find quite incredible is how can Kay do all the B&B upkeep by herself? Not to mention, cook meals for the cast. I just can't. And oh, flirt with guests and do location visits. Yun lang naiisip ko lagi sinasabi na naglilinis siya ng house- how does she do everything?

Well it was an enjoyable read. It was a little more entertaining than Attempting Elizabeth but they're in the same boat- three stars.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails