Thursday, June 20, 2013

2013 Book Challenge 22/35: I've Got Your Number

via goodreads
It's been a while since I've read a book by Sophie Kinsella. The first book I read by the author was Confessions of a Shopaholic. I gave it as a Christmas gift to my sister. She said it was 'nakakatawa pero nakakinis kasi ang tanga-tanga niya,' so binasa ko. May point siya pero funny naman talaga. Other books I read from her were Shopaholic Takes Manhattan and The Undomestic Goddess. I enjoyed both, I think, but of course not without the 'shet, ang tanga-tanga niya naman' moments. [This also reminds me that I still havent's returned to Juno her Sophie Kinsella books] So here I am with my latest Sophie Kinsella read, I've Got Your Number.

After a slew of so-so books, I needed a good one so as to banish the tamaditis I've been feeling. I've been lagging on my book assignments and I need something to pick up the pace, makakuha ba ng momentum uli. It's almost bazaar season and I might not have enough time to read as much as I'd like to. Anyway, I picked up IGYN because of the good reviews on Goodreads and I kept my expectations low et voila- an enjoyable reading experience.

Poppy Wyatt was engaged to her catch of a boyfriend- handsome, successful and loaded. But in an unfortunate (or was it fortunate?) turn of events, she lost her emerald engagement ring which was a family heirloom and then her mobile phone was snatched away from her. But surprise, surprise- there was a discarded mobile phone in one of the trash bins. The phone belonged to Sam Roxton, an obnoxious, all-business type of guy. And so the story of our not-friends-so-what-are-we duo begins...

It was an entertaining read. Madami pa rin engot moments, which is typical of a Sophie Kinsella novel. It usually starts with a teeny-weeny lie then another lie to cover up for the first lie until it builds up into one complicated mess. But in fairness to our protagonists, it all worked to their advantage.

Another thing, this is such a light and easy read and I must say, mas mabibigat pa nga ang ibang YA reads. But you see, an angst-free love story is possible. And you know what else is possible- a leading man who exudes sex appeal even without going into detail (Yes, I am referring to you Anastasia Steele). Sometimes, a kiss on the forehead is sexier and more kilig-inducing.

P.S. Dear Juno, mukhang matatagalan ko pa maibabalik ang Shopaholic books mo at babasahin ko muna ☺ Thanks. Hehehe.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails