Friday, March 8, 2013

2013 BOOK CHALLENGE 12/35: LOVE STORY

When I pick up a book, I try to throw all expectations out the window. You know what they say, expectations are the root of all disappointment. So twelfth book was Love Story by Jennifer Echols. Before I read the blurb, I was sort of expecting something a la Love Affair (Warren Beatty, Annette Bening) mainly because of the title. Wala lang. Feel ko lang. So anyway, after I read the blurb, I get it that this story was in no way similar to the Warren Beatty-Annette Bening flick, but it seemed as interesting.
"I closed my heart to him then. I thought I had succeeded in forgetting him ten times over. Each time I was mistaken. He managed to find his way into my heart again and sabotage it from the inside."
Erin went off to college to major in Creative Writing, in defiance of what her moneyed and landed grandmother (in other words, haciendera) wanted for her which was to take up business. She went after what she wanted, so she's now a struggling, poor college girl in New York trying to make ends meet with the barista job she's doing very poorly on. Erin has a penchant for romance novels and thought that is the genre she wanted to focus on. While discussing in class about her original story about the love affair of a rich heiress and a stable boy, Hunter joins the class. Harmless? Not, if the stable boy was patterned after a real one and he just happened to walk in. Que horror.

I really like Erin and I kind of sympathize with her on this whole broke college girl in New York thing. She was used to the good life, never lifting a finger and people catering to her every whim but after being disinherited by her grandma not only of the farm but also of her college fund, she tries the best she can so she can follow her dream. I can just imagine that must be very hard. It's a complete turnaround from the life she was accustomed to.

I also like Hunter because he seems really likable and how Erin described him, I reckon a real eye candy. Plus, he has abs! Oh yes, I know I'm turning into a full-fledged ahjumma now that I get flustered with abs. Haha.

Theirs is a really cute story. It's so cute how Erin has been crushing on Hunter for a long time and also the same goes for Hunter. But theirs is a simple love story complicated by their circumstances.

Though I did enjoy reading Love Story, I only give it . It has to be as good as This Is A Love Story for it deserve five from me ;) Plus, I do think that it ended abruptly. It's like Erin and Hunter got into this blow-up in front of the class, in front of their professor and they make peace just like that? Nobody even said sorry and I think that is imperative for them to have their closure over this issue so they can start anew. Parang, ganun lang?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails