Tuesday, October 23, 2012

RT 2012 book 20: anna & the french kiss

or in this case, those prone
to giddiness should not read
I would have written about Pride & Prejudice but since I spent, like, two months reading it, there were so many details I've forgotten already. I liked it and thought that Mr. Darcy is sweet but a little creepy. So... back to Anna & the French Kiss, the main attraction.

Remember that I once struggled reading the novel because my copy was in Spanish. Well, I searched every nook and cranny to find one in English and my hard work paid off because I did find one and thanks to the English copy, I'm finally done with the book.

Anna Oliphant, against her will, gets sent to Paris by her wealthy father [who found his fortune writing cheesy love stories (think Nicholas Sparks)] where she will spend her fourth and last year  in high school. Initially, she sulks but she immediately finds friends and a crush. You know, a crush is the most effective motivating force to go to school everyday even when it's sucky and the commute's hard. Take it from me, that's based from personal experience. Ha.


Anna's crushing hard on Etienne St. Clair, but she can't make da moves on him yet because 1) he has a girlfriend; 2) she doesn't want to jeopardize their friendship; and, 3) her friend, Meredith, also likes St. Clair. So in other words, it's complicated.

What I loved about this book is the giddiness galore! You know naman me, I live for kilig. Haha. I highly recommend this book to those who wants a no-brainer, feel-good, kilig-to-the-bones read. Initially, I really wanted to finish reading the Spanish version but I was afraid there would be something lost in translation, so I gave up with the Spanish version and resumed my reading with the one in English.

Speaking of English, Etienne St. Clair has an English accent. So what do I think about St. Clair? First, he is a nice guy because although he's sort of dropping hints that he likes Anna in that way, he didn't act these feelings because he has a girlfriend. It's just unfair on Anna's side because he's making her feel all these things and dropping hints and telling her she's beautiful and all, but because he has a girlfriend, they can't take it to the next level. Which is really frustrating most especially on Anna's part. I, too, fell in love with Etienne and his accent, but he's short. Choosy pa ako, 'no?

Personally, I was most kilig when Anna browsed the Neruda book Etienne bought for her and he put an asterisk on this quote:
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
te amo como se aman ciertas cosas oscuras, secretamente, entre la sombra y el alma 
And on that note, I have to bid you adieu.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails