Friday, August 3, 2012

RT 2012 book 17: fifty shades darker by EL James

So okay I know I've said I'm not a fan but since I've started with the first book of the trilogy, it was inevitable that I should also read Book 2. Plus, I'm really really really curious to know why Christian doesn't want his hairy chest touched. Ha.


Fifty Shades Darker is actually a very easy read because it's the same thing over and over. Christian dictates Anna what to do. Anna hates being bossed around so she goes against Christian's orders. Christian gets angry and pouts. Anna rolls her eyes but gets turned on with Christian's pouting lips. Christian gets turned on and twitchy-handed over Anna's eye-rolling. They have sex. Repeat. Yep, that's pretty much it.

My Pet Peeves In This Book:
  1. Can Ana please stop referring to Christian as "Fifty"? Cos seriously, every time she refers to him as such, I see 50 Cent in my head, hip-hopping to P.I.M.P. 
  2. And what role does her inner goddess play here? Every time she mentions her inner goddess in her chaise lounge or cartwheeling, I swear I want to get my hands on her and squish the living daylights out of her. I think the story would do fine without the annoying alternative personality.
  3. I've mentioned in my 50 Shades post that the book reminds me of Twilight. Well, I found out after reading Book 1 that this was originally a fanfic of the Twilight saga because the author was unsatisfied by the lack of "action." Naman. Dito, puro action. Aside from Twilight, the book also reminds me of Dexter, the serial killer (not the one with the science laboratory and a sister named Deedee). Christian  was neglected and unloved as a child and he saw her mother die. Very Dexter, no?
  4. Anastasia, please stop wondering why Christian chose you. He is probably a vampire who thinks your blood smells good. 
  5. If Ana really wanted Christian's BDSM tendencies gone, she should at least help him deal with it, not give him a night at the Red Room of Pain. Here he is ready to change for her and settle for "vanilla" sex then she goes, "What can I give a man who has everything? Oh, maybe I can be his sex slave for the day and he can whip my butt all he wants." It's the same banana. No pun intended. 
Haven't decided yet whether or not I'll read Book 3. Seriously, I'm wondering ano naman ang panama ni Jack kay Christian Grey, aber? And if ever they're really making this trilogy into a movie, they should cast Matt Bomer as Christian. Not Ian Somerhalder, like what majority of the 50 Shades Filipino fans want. 


Mas malinis tingnan si Matt Bomer diba? Of course, Ian Somerhalder's handsome and that stare is piercing, but Christian Grey's supposed to be clean-shaven at mukhang good boy, imho. Whatever. Kahit sino na lang as Christian Grey, wag lang si Kristen Stewart ang Anastasia. 

Currently reading Anna & the French Kiss but man, it's taking me longer than expected (with these easy-read YA books) because it's in frickin' Spanish! I'm thisclose to quitting but I must stay strong and put my rusty español into practice. 

2 comments:

Neha said...

Darker, which is the sequel to 50 shades of Grey turns out to be rather predictable. After an exciting first book, EL James fails to recreate the impact with the second book. What put me off was the lead pair having sex at the drop of a hat! I mean, people, breath!! As a fan of mush and cheesiness, the parts where Grey opens up about himself and is shown to be vulnerable egged me to finish the book.

smitten kitten said...

Me, too. I wanted to read the follow-up books to find out what happens. I actually started book three but it's only the first few chapters and they've had sex for, like, a bazillion times already, so I stopped and did not finish reading it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails