Thursday, July 26, 2012

RT 2012 book 15: perfect fifths by megan mccafferty

I learned to never have expectations because most often than not, things, events or people fall short of what I expect from them. So, although many were raving about this Jessica Darling series on tumblr (ahh, tumblr, my love) and after 4 amazing books before the conclusion, I really tried my very best not to expect much. Of course, I wanted Jessica and Marcus Flutie *le sigh* to end up together but I am also preparing myself for the worst which is if they go on their separate lives.


Ten years after he first fell for her, Marcus still doesn't understand it himself.\
It is an alchemical attraction that transcends all reason, rationality and- in the
three years since she spurned him- reality.

After three years, Jessica and Marcus meet again for the first time. Both have changed... for the better. Although I totally abhor the fact that they broke up in Book 4 (Fourth Comings), I reckon it was necessary for the both of them to let them grow in to the persons that they are now At that time, their relationship hindered them from reaching their own potentials. And three years after, on that fateful day at the airport, the pieces fall together. Now that's destiny. Or fiction. Bah.

I loved Perfect Fifths because it wasn't written from Jessica's point of view. It was from narrated by a third, omniscient person who gives us the blow-by-blow account of what each party was going through. We only knew Marcus from Jessica's eyes, how she thinks Marcus is, how much he loves her- all from her perspective. We never got to see their relationship, Jessica through his eyes. And in this fifth installment, we got to see things from his perspective (which is as kakakilig when we read Midnight Sun, which was Edward's version of the story. I still hate Twilight and Bella though. Okay, I loved it at first, but man I don't know what did it for me, why I started to hate that book so much. I'm blaming the audiobook). I don't know if Marcus has really changed or if things were just from a different perspective that's why I didn't see his lighter side. All throughout the first four books, he's this brooding guy with an air of mystery and now we found out this other side- the veil of mystery has been lifted (and I still love him... more, actually). How cute is it that upon hearing her name, he has to see for himself if it really was her or when she stalks her while she was in line for the tickets? I never saw him like that before and omigaaaaahd, he's so much more endearing this time. That conversation in the coffee shop- PRICELESS. [enter music... Barry Manilow's Somewhere Down the Road]

Speaking of Barry Manilow, I've a newfound appreciation for his songs. Okay, it's really cheesy, most especially in this book, the Barry connections but it added to its appeal. I swear they should make a movie based on all Manilow songs. At first I was thinking how contrived Manilow's songs has played a part on their relationship but then Jessica also feels the same, so maybe it's not too contrived at all. They should really make a TV series out this book. Not a movie because it would kill me to see all five books butchered into a measly 2-hour film. A TV series with a kick-ass OST, mainly Barry Manilow songs.

I love love love this book series to bits & pieces and Perfect Fifths is the cherry on top. Jessica and Marcus, as what the title suggests, are perfect together. So ya we're just assuming that they live happily ever after into old age.

I ♥ Marcus Flutie. YOU. YES. YOU.

No more JD. No more Marcus Flutie. Now what? This is depressing. I WANT A TV SERIES OUT OF THIS!!!

P.S. I find myself lucky for stumbling upon this beautiful series just now because I can't imagine the torture of waiting for the next book. Sloppy Firsts was first published in 2001 and Perfect Fifths, the last one, in 2009. Eight years. I can't imagine how I'd be able to wait for eight frickin' years! Buti na lang talaga. But now what? No more Marcus Flutie :( I hope Megan McCafferty writes another one about them just so I have a closure. Haha. Whatever. Can someone, like, hit me in the head now because even Whatever reminds me of Marcus. Ack.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails