Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pick Flick: Dear John

This movie was not on my list of movies to watch. Saw the trailer some time ago and it didn't appeal to me. But after quite a number of people raved about the movie on Facebook, I got curious about it. What if I'm missing out on one of the greatest love stories ever? Over. Haha. What really happened was, last Friday AB asked me if I wanted to watch a movie. Hell, yeah!

Five Things About Dear John:
  1. What's with Nicholas Sparks and his very emo male characters? I swear ang i-emo ng mga characters niya. Garret Blake is emo. Landon Carter is emo. Noah Calhoun is emo. And John Tyree is emo. Let go. Move on, people!
  2. Martyr silang pareho. John re-enlists in the Army after the 9/11 attack in spite of his promise to her that he'll marry her after his deployment. Savannah marries another after she gets tired of waiting for John. Sabi ko pinapahirapan lang nilang dalawa ang sarili nila. Sabi ni AC, they just did what they think was the right thing to do at the time. So martyr nga sila. John didn't have to re-enlist if he really wanted to keep his promise and Savannah doesn't need to marry Tim just so she could take care of him and his son.
  3. I'd kill for Savannah's impossibly-shiny locks.
  4. Because John is the bida, I think I am supposed to like him. But I don't. He's too serious. He's no fun. Basag-ulo pa. And he's not nice to his father.
  5. The ending reminded me of KC Concepcion and Lovers in Paris. Not that KC did a great job reprising the role of Vivian/Tae-young in Lovers in Paris because she actually did a horrible job in that one. Bikes + cafes= Lovers in Paris.
So I think I didn't really like the movie, asi-asi. It was okay. It's just not something I would watch for a second time. I like love stories. Actually, I am a sucker for love stories! But when both of them clearly had a choice and they didn't make that choice, nakakainis diba? Yun lang.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails