Monday, September 7, 2009

happy as a bunny


I was going to be turning ten years old in July, and there was something about
the transition from nine to ten- from single digit to double digits-
that shocked me into a genuine existential panic,
usually reserved for people turning fifty.
I remember thinking that life was passing me by so fast. It seemed like only yesterday
I was in kindergarten,
and here I was, about to turn ten.
Soon I would be a teenager, then middle-aged, then elderly, then dead.
And everyone else was aging in hyperspeed, too.
- Eat Pray Love
Elizabeth Gilbert

I hate to sound like a broken record but really, anticipation is half (if not 3/4) the fun. After all those months, weeks and days spent counting down, the day itself still remains nothing very out of the ordinary. Don't get me wrong, of course, I still had a blast and I'm super duper happy with all the greets and gifts and also had a small celebration with family here. The only sad thing is the absence of my daddy (who is in Capiz still and will just come home on the 27th in time for AD's wedding) and AC (who is still in China waiting for her graduation). It was a GREAT DAY nonetheless. I couldn't ask for more. Well, I did want something more, which in my opinion, isn't really too much to ask for but maybe, God is brewing something much, much better. Ojala!

I find joy in counting down the days to big events like birthdays, holidays, the Christmas season and practically every event that is worth getting excited over. And with the anticipation comes the hope that days would pass by quickly so that the day long awaited for would finally come. But then again I just realized that by doing so, precious time gets lost in it. Well, if I were in my -teens I guess it wouldn't matter that much but the thing is I'm just three years away from hitting 30. I guess we have to find the right balance between wanting to fast forward to the most anticipated events and wanting to slow time down as well. I remember the movie The Man in the Moon's tagline: Remember when you couldn't wait for your life to begin... and then, one day, it did?~ Well, I'm still waiting for that day although I have no frickin' idea what I am waiting for. Then again, maybe it's time I stop waiting and make it happen myself. Whatever. I hope I could finally decide to get off my lazy arse...

So now that my birth day is finally over and am already in my late twenties *ack* Late (!) twenties. Why do I still feel as if I am in my early twenties? Denial ba ito o sadyang signs of retardation lang? But I still have three more years to enjoy until I turn 30. I have to teach myself to be in the moment, be in the now and not wallow in the past nor anticipate the future too much. Before I worry on turning 30, enjoy muna being 27. Premature talaga ako. On that note, 364 days left 'til my next birthday. Yeeha!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails