Thursday, June 14, 2007

Change of Career?

As I was having breakfast with the parental units, the topic of studying computer whatever came into the picture. I knew it was coming when mommy mentioned her friend's daughters, who are now in Spain as computer programmers or something to that effect, in passing, on our way to visit Auntie Doris last Sunday. Actually, it wasn't "in passing," we just refused to talk about the topic further. Kumbaga, walang pumatol sa hirit niya.

Mommy is planning to put up an internet cafe for me. It wasn't my idea. It was hers, all hers. But we're thinking why not make it a 4-door or n-door apartment instead. That way it would be easier to manage and there will be no need for overhead or operating expenses. You don't have to pay for the person who would man the shop. You don't have to pay for electricity, water, etc. But knowing my mother, she wants anything complicated; Ergo...

In relation with this project of hers, she wants me to manage the internet cafe, too, alongside the nail spa. As a result, she wants me to take up something that will educate me about computers such as troubleshooting, etc. But I told her that what she wants me to do isn't easy and there goes again her comments such as "Madali lang yun, ikaw pa?" Ahhh... ehh... Parang hindi yata. I just find it somewhat annoying that she says that matter-of-factly, without batting an eyelash, as if she knew for herself. She wants me to learn programming, too. As if it's an easy thing to do.

Before, they wanted me to become a lawyer. Then when it was clear that my career path (or the nonexistence thereof) wasn't going anywhere near it, they tried suggesting taking up a second course, which is nursing. And now, this!

I know my parents only want what's best for us but do we really have to do this? Do we really have to sell ourselves short just to be able to work abroad? There's nothing wrong with being a nurse or what-have-yous, but if it isn't what I dream to do, why settle for it just because it pays the bills?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails