Wednesday, April 6, 2016

2016 Reading Challenge: Ugly Love

Because I've yet to read a book by Colleen Hoover, so... I wasn't expecting much from the book and even if it has a 4.33 rating on Goodreads, I now know better than to keep my hopes up. I kinda already have an inkling that there would be plenty of sexy times but I wanted to know if it would be of the Rock Chick kind or more similar to Alice Clayton's Wallbanger.

Tate just moved in to his brother's apartment and living across his brother's unit lived a hot guy who also happened to be one of his brother's bros. Ang convenient, I like. Haha. So nothing really happened on the first night (nako ang mga characters sa YA/NA novels mas mabilis pa sa alas cuatro makadiga) but we already know Tate has the hots for the boy. Initially, it was more difficult to discern things from the boy's point of view since he's not revealing much, puro from six years ago yung nasa POV niya ng story. Well, from the POV six years ago, we knew that he still hasn't moved on from Rachel and thinks he's not capable of loving another but due to their undeniable attraction to each other hence the no-strings-attached chukchakan relationship.

What I liked in this book is, of course, the will-they-or-won't-they plot. We know Tate already likes Miles for real but given rule# 2 which is Don't expect a future, she's just getting what she can from their setup. Well, we also know Miles also likes Tate in that way because sometimes he slips up but when he catches himself, he clams up right away. So there's another reason why I was easily breezed through the book- I wanted to find out what ever happened to Rachel and why that huge of an impact on Miles's life.

Ugly Love is more like Wallbanger which I also liked. I'd rather have those gorgeous, abs-rocking, polite (well, mas polite kaysa sa mga Rock Chick boys) than those Rock Chick boys cos seriously with those boys, it's practically rape. Diba nga no means no? And sorry cos I think I'm biased since Dog the Bounty Hunter comes to mind when I think of Rock Chick and who wants a piece of that?? Aside from Beth anyway.

I totally get where Tate is coming from haha... I mean, choosy pa ba siya?
So three stars because I enjoyed it and it made me stay up until three in the morning so I could finish reading it. Initially gave it four stars but after comparing with my other four-star-books, I reckon it only deserves three. I liked it but I wasn't gushing about it afterwards. I was like, what to read next nuninuninu... I'm still three books behind schedule. Anyway, looks like I'm picking up another title by the author but maybe not this month.

Next on this list; Emery Lord's The Start of Me and You

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails