Thursday, October 23, 2014

2014 Book Challenge: Love and Other Foreign Words

Almost 20 days, that's how long it took me to finish this book. Ergo, I am 11 books behind my target.

So... Love and Other Foreign Words, how did I find you? It was boring. I've read, like, a bunch of similar stories of a boy and a girl being just friends but the other has more-than-a-friend feelings towards the other and while some were more interesting than the others, there were some which are pretty blah. And this book belongs to the blah category.

Umpisa pa lang, I pretty much knew how this would end and I wasn't wrong. Yun lang, I hope they included more "moments" between Josie and Stu. Should I deduce from the fact that Stu can't keep a girlfriend and has never said 'I love you' to any of them that he is in love with his best friend? Umm, that could be the case but it could also be that he's really just a jerk. And Josie... Josie who couldn't keep one because no one's at par with her superiority.

Now that we're on the topic of Josie (OMG, if Josie were a real person, she'd love that we're talking about her), I think she's one annoying stuck-up brat. She thinks she's all high and mighty just because she has superior IQ. She frowns upon her friends and schoolmates who speak "ohmig*d." Ikaw na, Josie, ikaw na ang may perfect command of the English grammar at vocabulary. She also tried to sabotage her sister Kate's wedding which is cute if she's eight but she's almost sixteen and she's not amusing anymore. Good thing she realized that the reason why she hated Geoff so much was because he's too similar to her- because as a reader, I can see that, that's she annoyed with him but she doesn't realize (yet) that they're both know-it-all snobs. And oh, Josie thinks she's very, very intelligent but not like the other nerds who aren't cool cos she's cool as shizz, y'all!

I'm not a regular nerd. I'm a cool nerd.
There's nothing wrong with being smart but Josie qualified it a bazillion times in the book that's she's not the typical smart girl, even college football guy thinks she's the bomb.

whatevs, Josie
So finally Josie and Stu got their shit together during Kate's wedding. They kissed and that was it. Yaaaawn.

Gave it two stars. I was going to give it three stars but Josie's attitude was such a turn off so minus one star for all the sass talk.

I was saving up Rainbow Rowell's Landline after crazy production season but I need a good book to read. I hope Rowell doesn't disappoint.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails