Tuesday, April 17, 2012

it's movietime for me! yay!

Little by little does the trick.

Finally had my mini-movie marathon yesterday. I was supposed to go to this training/product trial but as I was nursing an upset stomach, I asked for it to be rescheduled. At home with stomach flu (TMI, IKR? LOL) plus it was a rest day for the shop, I have every excuse in the world to lie down on my bed and devour one movie after another.

One For The Money

source
Another sign that I am old- Katherine Heigl. I remember seeing a 14-year-old Heigl on My Father, the Hero with Gerard Depardieu which was eons ago, and now here she is with grown-up roles, battling the woes of thirty-somethings.

Being a book-to-film adaptation, a chick-lit at that, I was expecting a romcom. I wasn't really disappointed when she didn't end up with either of Joe Morelli or the Ranger, it's just that I felt that aspect of the story was a little hilaw. Oo nga naman, girl power nga pala ang theme dito- I don't need a man to make it happen baga.

It was a fun watch and I liked it even if I wasn't paying 100% attention to it.

Keeping the Faith

source
This was released only in 2001 but watching it felt it was in the 90s because of the video resolution. Well, this was before the heyday of high definition shiznit and I feel so old because 2001 is 11 eleven years ago and I was 19 at that time. You do the math.

Keeping the Faith is a cute love story. It started with three young friends, Jake, Brian and Anna. Anna moved, leaving Jake and Brian in New York City. The two boys remained the best of friends albeit belonging to two different religions- Jake became a Jewish rabbi and Brian a Catholic priest. Fast forward to the future, Anna returns to New York and reunites with her boy best friends. Only this time, Brian and Jake are both harboring romantic feelings for her.

My thoughts: Obviously, Jake has the upper hand in this situation because rabbis can have wives, whereas Catholic priests cannot. I am not aware of Jewish customs, but Jake's dilemma is easier than that of Brian's. Of course it was heartbreaking on the part of Brian but it was the path he took. It was a good thing that Anna fell in love with Jake and not with Brian because otherwise, it would be a different, much more complicated scenario.

It was a nice, feel-good movie.

Jeux d'enfants

source
I am not sure if it was my high expectations for this movie or if there were just some things lost in translation, but I didn't enjoy this as much.

My niece gave me a copy of this French movie and she highly recommended that I watch it and she said that it's better than Flipped. The thing is I loooooved Flipped meaning it should be so good to be considered better than Flipped. I guess it was just my expectations and some things lost in translation, that is why I didn't get the optimal enjoyment from this film.

My thoughts: It is an annoying, weird love story. Julien and Sophie were obviously not bringing out the best in each other and what they have wasn't healthy anymore. Okay, given na that this is just a movie but I just didn't find their dares cute. There wouldn't be a problem if other people didn't get harmed or hassled because of their games but their little 'dares' are hurting and hassling other people and for this reason, it is not what I can consider as fun and cute. They have a world of their own in which they don't care about other people; in other words, autistic sila!!! ANNOYING.

And seriously, I do not believe that 7, 8 or 9-year-old kids already have the concept of 'love.' Sorry naman if it's too pessimistic of me but I just don't and can't believe it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails