Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Book 2010/5: P.S. I Love You

Some people go through life searching and never find
their soul mates. They never do. You and I did,
we just happened to have them for a shorter
period of time. It's sad, but it's life!

Having watched the movie first before reading the book, I wasn't expecting much. I just thought of reading a fiction novel before I start reading my business-y books again. 

The beginning of the novel was a bit boring actually. Muntik ko na siyang hindi tapusin. All she did was sulk and I was getting pretty tired of it. It got interesting at the middle part of the book when Holly went out into the world again and tried to start all over without Gerry. These are things that you wish wouldn't happen to you. Losing someone in old age is painful enough, how much more when you were caught unaware? I haven't dealt with anything like this before (and I'm hoping I won't have to for a long, long time) and I would only have to rely on the author's description. Bilib ako sa author. She got me teary-eyed, she made me feel what Holly was feeling albeit not having undergone a similar experience. I got emotional on this part when Holly needed to pay for her internet use but she's $5 short or something and she can't think of anyone else who could save her ass. She called the first number that came into her head and then Gerry's voice recording played... Waaaah!!! Na-depress ako bigla.

In comparison to the movie, the book beats movie version, hands down. How I wish the movie stayed faithful to the book. It would have been more beautiful. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't remember seeing Holly's relationship with her siblings or if she even had siblings in the movie version. I only remember Kathy Bates as her mom. They should have included that bit because I thought Holly's rediscovery (ie. seeing him in a whole, new light) of her relationship with her brother, Richard, was such a beautiful part of the book. Also, I liked how Holly tried to live her life as normal as possible but at the end of the stay, still feel the void that Gerry left. In the movie, parang she was sulking lang all the time. I'm not really sure about that but that's all I remember from it. The book is far better than the movie version.

I also liked how they toyed with the idea that Holly could be falling in love with another man so soon. Like there's attraction between Daniel and her but she feels she's not ready yet, yada yada yada. She looked for signs whether or not it's right that she gets into a relationship with this man and just as when she thinks she has made a decision, something suddenly happens. And everything just falls into place.

The good thing with watching the movie first before reading the book, I already have characters in my mind, like there's a movie playing in my head. Though I wish they cast someone prettier than Hilary Swank, haha.

And they say pigs don't fly...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails