Thursday, January 8, 2009

Book 09-01: The Book Thief

Included in my NYR list is to read a new book every two weeks. I'm starting the year off with The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Recommended by AB. Well, almost all books I read were AB's since I'm too stingy to buy books. She said this one's a real tearjerker and that her head hurt from crying while reading it. It must be that good. Then again I would have to stop expecting too much.

I started reading it already and it is indeed very interesting. Haven't reached the 100th page since I always fall asleep just after a few minutes. That doesn't mean it's boring, it just means I fall asleep easily. Meanwhile, just a few pages into the book, I've already learned a few German words:

saumensch - "sau" refers to pigs; it serves to castigate, berate or plain humiliate a female
saukerl- male counterpart of a saumensch
arschloch- asshole

Just yesterday I found myself calling someone an arschloch. Oh joy, my vocabulary of profanities just got wider.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails